Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts
You have to fill with the engine running so the Torque Converter is filled as well as the gearbox.

Reactions: nosync
when refilling after a service about 5ish litres is about all that will fit , the rest is in the torque converter the pump, valve body, cooler etc. yes its a slow job to pour it down the tube. transfer case is a seperate box.

yes - check the level with engine running, cold. In practice that mean get the level as right as poss with the engine running (even if warm), let the oil cool off/ contract, and then level off whilst running & cold - remembering to cycle through all the gears too. Your gearbox could easily have been over/ under-filled in the first place, so I wouldn't be unduly worried if the refill is +/- 1L. I too have been through the fill it up, drop a bit out cycle !! When you're at the bottom of the stick it really only takes a small volume to get to the right level, as the stick is near horizontal at the bottom as it bends down the tube and into the gearbox.

Because the torque converter is inside the bellhousing at the front of the gearbox and the transfer case is a completely separate unit bolted to the back on the gearbox. Just because they are both sometimes referred to as TC doesn't mean they are the same thing, TC also is used when talking about Traction Control......

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Because the torque converter is inside the bellhousing at the front of the gearbox and the transfer case is a completely separate unit bolted to the back on the gearbox. Just because they are both sometimes referred to as TC doesn't mean they are the same thing, TC also is used when talking about Traction Control......
An update and a question;

ATF level is staying where it should be, a drop or two under the car overnight (mix of oil and negligible amount of ATF, so I think my incident took a few years for the level to drop enough to cause the problem).

Now to the question; the shifting is kind of abrupt and occasionally with a clunk, especially when the car is cold, any input? is that a bad sign?

If the shifting pattern didn't exist before you replaced the ATF, something must have happened during the fluid change. First question that I have is, did you make certain you used the right ATF fluid? Not all ATF is the same, and you must use the specific ATF designated for the particular transmission. There is a separate thread about a case where a transmission started to exhibit a whirring/whining sound after accidentally filling the transmission with a wrong spec Dexron, a Dexron 6.

Also, as previously noted, transmission must be filled while the engine is running, but when the ATF fluid is cold. Did you diligently follow the procedure? ATF fluid expands when heated, so if you took too much time to fill the transmission, you may have to wait until the fluid is cold enough and repeat the process.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Thank you for the pointers TheoR.

I used Dexron III which is what the forum called for,
I did not know that I needed the engine running while filling the transmission fluid so I did not, but I have been checking the level before every drive (I have the dipstick version) so even if there was a filling error on day one; I should have seen it by now, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nosync - check out post 23.... But to your point above if you've only been checking the level with engine off, then no, you wouldn't have spotted the under-fill - your box needs filling !!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
nosync - check out post 23.... But to your point above if you've only been checking the level with engine off, then no, you wouldn't have spotted the under-fill - your box needs filling !!
Thank you romanrob, but I think there is a misunderstanding here: yes I followed post #23 already and the level is between the two dots, I was referring to the post prior to yours: “filling” with ATF with the engine running.

As long as you're checking levels from cold and engine on, and between the dots, then you're good.

Looks like you've used the right type of Dex 3 called out for.

I have a Thor, and thus I don't have a dip stick to check the ATF level. However, shouldn't the filling procedure as well as the checking procedure (other than the dip stick part) be the same? As in, have the engine running and going through all the gears while the ATF is still relatively cold?

It is the same when levelling, but not filling ie you wouldn't run the engine with an empty trans doing the initial fill, right?
It's hair splitting, but some folks will take things literally, or think there's some magic in having filled and run from start to finish.

Just to further clarify my statement, I meant to say that the filling procedure and checking procedure for GEMS and Thor should be generally the same other than the fact that Thor is not provided with a dip stick.

Effectively the procedures are the same for both the V8 autos, yes, but that wasn't where the initial confusion came from.

Theo, there is one big difference in filling the autobox for GEMS and Thor, apart from ease of access. You can fill the older ones via the dipstick tube with the correctish amount, then start the engine, go through the gears and check on the dipstick. On the Thor, you need to have the engine running or you'll never get enough oil in because the filler is lower than the oil level with engine not running and it just pours out again.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
So I took my P38 for the longest drive yet, at speeds up to 85 mph ( exceeding 95 for a brief period), all went well for the first 150 mile.
And as I was approaching my exit, I noticed that it was “hunting” for the right gear, then I got the “gearbox fault” message on the display in the dashboard, and the car kept itself in 3’d gear for the rest of the trip (40 miles) regardless of the speed (taking off in 3’d from a stand still at the traffic light was not fun) and the gear symbol (D) disappeared from the display.

What is next?

The bad is that something went wrong enough to trigger a fault.

The good is now that you have a fault, the issue should now be registered in your OBDII. So, best thing to do is to check if you have any error codes registered in the OBDII.

Now, not all issues related to transmission gets registered in the OBDII. So, if that's the case some manual inspection may be necessary.

Also, just to confirm, when topping off the ATF, did you go through the gears with the engine running?

Discussion starter · #39 ·
The bad is that something went wrong enough to trigger a fault.

The good is now that you have a fault, the issue should now be registered in your OBDII. So, best thing to do is to check if you have any error codes registered in the OBDII.

Now, not all issues related to transmission gets registered in the OBDII. So, if that's the case some manual inspection may be necessary.

Also, just to confirm, when topping off the ATF, did you go through the gears with the engine running?
Yes indeed: I did top off the ATF with the engine running (cold) while going through the gears.

I will look to see what code has registered on the OBDII, but not sure what you mean by the “manual inspection” ?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.