RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a long dark trip home last week cruising at 70 MPH the "Transferbox Neutral" light illuminated momentarily 1-2 seconds with the accompaning chime. The light came on twice more in the next hour until I arrived home, each time for 1-2 seconds barely enought time to read the panel.
Next day I put in a fresh battery, replacing the original Land Rover battery from 2004. The light has flashed twice since I swapped the battery.
I brought the car to a friend who owns a reputable shop who could read the transmission codes but does not have a discription or a diagnosis for the Range Rover, the only transmission code was C1212.
I live over 2 hours from the nearest dealer and I am hoping that someone on this forum has experience this issue. I did a long search in the archives and did not find anything like this.
The RR is a 2004 with 82,000 trouble free miles since new.
Any insight into this light and code will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J.J.J.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Sorry I have no experience of this. The 'Transferbox Neutral' message (accompanied by a flashing mountain symbol) is usually to confirm that a fuse has been placed in position 37 in the front fusebox so that the car can be recovered/towed on all four wheels. Strange.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Do you leave your A/C on all the time? Random error messages can be caused by condensation in switches, circuits and on ECU PCB's or the condensation can then lead to surface corrosion that then plays havoc with the very sensitive electrical system. Leaving the A/C on as it is designed to be, even in winter dehumidifies the air...

Dan

·
Registered
122 Posts
There have been a few post on this site for the transfer box neutral message. I had had this problem twice. By twice I mean for a period of a month or two, i would intermittingly get this message. The first time it happen it stoped on it's own and only did it when it was cold. The second time it started, I took it to the dealer. Dealer did not get any error codes, and told me the information they got from LR was to uplug the multiplug connected to the transder motor, grease it and reconnect it. that worked for a month but the message would return it i hit a large bump. So i got underneath the truck and disconnected the multi plug and reconnected it making sure it was tight. haven't had the problem since(knock on wood). Another guy on this site stated the dealer told him they had to replace the transfer motor. i think it was close to $1700. I eamiled him a while back and he said that fixed his problem. I would check and make sure the multi plug is tight. The way the connection is fitted it can easily come loose over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having this same issue. I was also told the transferbox motor needs to be replaced. Can someone tell me where to locate the multiplug so I can test?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're a savior. Just knowing that I can get it replaced for less than $1,800 makes me happy. I'll obviously check the plug first...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I am a new and proud owner of a 04 tdv6 vogue but already having problems. I too have the transferbox neautral message showing occasionaly and although the diagram previously posted of the location of the plug to try and re-connect is clear, my knowledge of cars is awful and would like assistance as to where i should start looking? ie engine bay or underneath car?

I apologise for my stupidity in advance!

chris

ps other issues i already have are:
heated steering wheel only comes on for a second then switches off?
drivers side heated seat works for a few seconds before switching off but passanger side works fine??

Any advice would be of great help!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chris,

Wait until the engine is cool. Lift the truck to the highest height setting so you can get under it easy. Turn the truck off and leave one of the doors open so the truck doesn't drop to the default height on its own. Halfway down the driver's side under the truck you'll find the plug. I cleaned it and it ran for about a week before the errors started coming back. In either case, give it a shot to see if it works for you.

The heater problems sound like a fuse issue.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
122 Posts
well the transferBox neutral message came back again this weekend and stayed on for about 5 seconds as I was driving. Truck drove fine, but when i tried to put it into low gear just to check everything out, nothing happened. The low indicator on the dash didn't light up and no messages in the message center. Tried the switch a few more times and it went into low gear, then back to high. tried it again a few hours later and nothing, It doesn't switch and the low gear light doesn't come on. It's been like that since Sunday. Truck drives normal, in standard mode, sport, and manual modes. I have only needed used low gear once, or twice. I use it more when I put the truck in low gear once or twice a month to try to keep things form locking up. My questions is do i need to rush to the dealer( i'm thinking i need a new transfer case motor) or as long as I don't have any problems, can it wait a month or so?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Problems seem to occur because of faults with the rotary potentiometer which is built into the shift motor. If the ECU loses its voltage signal from this potentiometer it doesn’t know where the shift fork is (and therefore which range it is in) and flags a DTC.

If you were keen to get things moving again you could maybe try using fuse 37 to get the shift motor to select neutral and then try the recalibration procedure?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42361%20&sid=e301a269643ddecc9db0e076fb3672be%23p326853#p326853

Phil

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks phil, I saw that post and and was able to get the trasfer case into neutral and removed the fuse from slot 37. It took several tries to get the transfer case to shift to low and then to high again and I was scared that it would get stuck in low so the recalaibration wasn't completed. I need to go out of town for the holidays and wanted to know if this is something I ke I have to have fixed before I take the truck on the road.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also I just tried the recalibration again and in the message center is said select neutral instead of transferbox neutral. Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
After an engine swap I my transfer case disengaged while driving. Found the multiplug wasn't completely connected and the select neutral message appeared. The fuse 37 procedure was attempted and shortly afterwards the same thing happened. The Indy shop checked it and worked for a few blocks. They have testbook and are there any procedures that can be done to possibly correct this shift problem. Seems it has a mixed signal

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2004 Range Rover HSE was getting the "Select Neutral" message when I would turn on the SUV, and when I started moving it would immediately give me a "Slow Down" message w/ a ding noise.
The dealer replaced the transfer box motor and now the low/high switch works perfectly and no more alerts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No high range

I have a 2004 and remove some the shift motor I rotated the gear and seems I can't return it to the high position any ideas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 vogue. I first for the transfer box neutral message back in November once and didn't appear again until last week when I was heading home, It came up 8 times on my way home and hasn't appeared again. I also have an issue with it not having enough power as usual when pressing on the gas, between 50-65 mph the vehicle makes a vibrating sound and feeling throughout the whole vehicle and loses acceleration going up hills, I've changed the spark plugs and valve cover gasket and the coil packs seems to be fine. Also had the fuel pump and cam sensors replaced in November before all this new stuff came up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I am a new and proud owner of a 04 tdv6 vogue but already having problems. I too have the transferbox neautral message showing occasionaly and although the diagram previously posted of the location of the plug to try and re-connect is clear, my knowledge of cars is awful and would like assistance as to where i should start looking? ie engine bay or underneath car?

I apologise for my stupidity in advance!

chris

ps other issues i already have are:
heated steering wheel only comes on for a second then switches off?
drivers side heated seat works for a few seconds before switching off but passanger side works fine??

Any advice would be of great help!!
Were you ever able to figure out what the issue was? I have all the same issues, including the heated steering wheel and heated seat on driver side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts