RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've had my p38 for the past couple days, (2000 4.6HSE, 92k miles) had it in the shop after i bought it to get brakelines done, needless to say it's been running awesome, however, today, after driving 35-40 miles i stopped at a restaraunt and when i came back to the truck and started it, it has a "TRANSFER OVERHEAT" warning on the message center and it would keep beeping 3x. Scared, i drove it home, then about 2 hours later had to get to work and had no other choice but to drive it. Figured it would cool down while sitting at work and the light would go away. Nothing. Mind you the truck is running EXACTLY the same as before the message appeared, and I can't get for it to go away. It only did the beep beep beep once while driving home, and since i got back i've taken the battery off and tried to reset the message in any ways possible but it's not going away. I feel as if this is an electronic glitch because the truck shifts smooth with no slip. I just need to be pointed in the right direction as to what my next step is. I'm considering draining the tcase and refilling it with fresh fluid ( i think it takes ATF III?) Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated as i don't know how to feel about this since the performance hasn't changed. If it's worth noting, it was very hot out (89F + ) When it first came with this warning. Not sure if that has any correlation. I'm just worried that i should be worried right now. :?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
iI does indeed take ATF. III an be hard to find so IV will do. perhaps the sensor has come undone and it is grounding out...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iI does indeed take ATF. III an be hard to find so IV will do. perhaps the sensor has come undone and it is grounding out...
I am starting to think the same thing with the sensor because I cannot think of any logical reason that it would show the message while cold / when the key is only turned to accessories on

·
Registered
771 Posts
It’s one of the first things to come up when it finds any glitches, low battery, bad earth, anything it wants, gearbox overheat comes up, normally it goes away by itself, I’ve had it twice, once was justified as alternator had gone and I’d driven 60 miles to get home.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would highly recommend draining and filling the T case with fresh fluid. Also drain and fill the front and rear differentials. Easy to do. Cheap and simple and you never know what the P.O. did or didn’t do. It needs to be done every 30,000 miles I believe. Mine was black water when I drained it. After that I did all the fluids.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
A change of all fluids is always a good idea on any newly bought car. But unlikely to solve your issue.
I'd start by checking the sensor and the wiring to it. The switch is normally open, so could be either failed in closed state or the wiring grounded somewhere.

As said a problem with battery/alternator often shows itself first by a warning for gearbox or transfer case, so best check those as well.

Filip

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Where is the sensor located?
download the RAVE workshop manual, links for down load are in the FAQ stickie above. In the workshop manual under transfer box/repair will be drawing showing it's position next to the range selection motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts