RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my first road trip since buying a 2014. Once in a while I get the shutter when I start from a stop and am turning.
At highway speed (avg. 75 mph) while coasting i also feel a slight but steady vibration. Not very pronounced. I’m just very dialed in to all of the new feels, sounds, etc.. when I give it gas the vibration goes away. Just on coast. I had my differential fluid changed recently not knowing it’s prior maintenance. My Indy did it. I’m wondering if he didn’t fill it properly. Is there an additive required like my old jeep used to have?
Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Davecap

I know two schools of thought:

1. Dealers I don’t trust say that old thick fluid keeps the transfer case running properly and flushing adding new fluids cause the internal gears to fail. My answer is going with a heavier weight new fluid? But does anyone want to experiment on a 5-10,000 tcase? Please do some google searches and report back. It’s an honest and open question about our rigs....

2. Independent shops tell me to change the fluid. It will let your internals last longer. Two examples. My 2013 HSE 70k miles I changed the tranny fluid and pan screen at the dealer and the tranny is a little funky now....My 2014 Autobiography with 89k miles I haven’t touched the fluids besides oil and DR and the car runs like a champ.

This is a very controversial topic and no clear answers. I’ve had other Indy shops tell me don’t touch it if ain’t broke because there’s too many problems after changing it.

So do some reasearch and get back to us, besides questions we need people bringing knowledge back to the forums. We’re all better for that!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do you get shutters when your not towing anything? Maybe it’s the increased load?

Nvrmind your not towing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird that it only happens occasionally. I just got into the l405 after a couple of l322s so I’ll m very dialed in to the new sounds and feels.
I’ll report back if I find any solid info.
thanks for responding. Unfortunately on these forums the best way to get responses is to ask about gold plated 24” rims and the like.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Davecap

I know two schools of thought:

1. Dealers I don’t trust say that old thick fluid keeps the transfer case running properly and flushing adding new fluids cause the internal gears to fail. My answer is going with a heavier weight new fluid? But does anyone want to experiment on a 5-10,000 tcase? Please do some google searches and report back. It’s an honest and open question about our rigs....

2. Independent shops tell me to change the fluid. It will let your internals last longer. Two examples. My 2013 HSE 70k miles I changed the tranny fluid and pan screen at the dealer and the tranny is a little funky now....My 2014 Autobiography with 89k miles I haven’t touched the fluids besides oil and DR and the car runs like a champ.

This is a very controversial topic and no clear answers. I’ve had other Indy shops tell me don’t touch it if ain’t broke because there’s too many problems after changing it.

So do some reasearch and get back to us, besides questions we need people bringing knowledge back to the forums. We’re all better for that!
This is a known issue... Apparently lots of US vehicles were filled with the wrong transfer box fluid. I see someone already posted the TSB

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you and the others who have responded. A search for the proper fluid brings up many options. Typically I'd just go to and trust the dealer, but lately I'm not sure if I trust them. Especially if it was Land Rover that put the wrong fluid in them to begin with. It's never easy.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Thank you and the others who have responded. A search for the proper fluid brings up many options. Typically I'd just go to and trust the dealer, but lately I'm not sure if I trust them. Especially if it was Land Rover that put the wrong fluid in them to begin with. It's never easy.
There is one fluid and the part number is listed in the linked thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts