RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just called and said his step-son may have lost the transfer case or the transmission. After talking to him we are thinking transfer case.

With the transfer case in neutral it makes a his description, gawd awful crunching noise. Does that logic make sense?

If it is the transfer case can the transfer case be swapped without dropping the entire transmission?

What would one expect to pay for a used transfer case and where do we get one?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm all too familiar with that sound. What year Range Rover does your friend's step=son have? The answer may affect the diagnosis.

If it makes the same sound with the transfer case lever in either high range or low range, but not in Neutral, and if the transfer case is the viscous unit, then the splines have stripped off the output shaft. This happened on my wife's Range Rover two years ago. If all these things are true, you don't have to replace the transfer case; you can replace the output shaft. I bought a replacement from Ashcroft Transmissions in Luton, Bedfordshire, England. Their URL is "http://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/" and Dave Ashcroft will help diagnose your problem over e-mail.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
345 Posts
The easiest way to diagnose this is to put car on a lift and put in gear, listen for noise. My last project was a 92 I was about to buy, the owner called me with same problem you described. Car wouldnt stay in park ( output shaft problem ), nor would car move, godawful sound could be heard in transfer box, turned out to be planetary gears, the test drive the day before the car drove beautifully, then suddenly boom!, lucky for me I had one in my garage. On finding one for sale, the problem is shipping, wght. is about 175 with crate, so you need to find one close by and pick it up yourself, around $400 . My experience is you can buy a complete parts car for this much. You can read about how heavy they are and how difficult this is by doing a search here. If you're in Pennsylvania I can hook you up cheaply. Otherwise good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left the bloody camera at home today. I'll try to get them up this weeknd.

My buddy remembers there being an issue at the front of the drive shaft but put off repairing it. He's a Jag guy and said he knows better. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts