RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have the viscous coupling going out. Clanking and jerking when starting off and in fairly tight turns. Did the jack up one front wheel and try to turn it with the other on the ground, in transfer case "neutral" and I can't turn the wheel.

But since I had all four wheels off the ground I went ahead and started it after getting the key to turn in the ignition...different post and about two day delay!...it would clank and all four wheels would turn but I got a clanking noise (almost like the wheels(lug nuts) were loose but not quite that sound (they were loose but not now) and at times when I would stop the wheels turning and then take my foot off the brake the wheels would not move at all. A bit of throttle and most times it would jerk and clank and the wheels would start turning. Does that add up to what should be happening with a failed VC?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
My viscous coupling failed. I know mine was due to a broken half shaft on the rear axle. I'm blogging about that very issue this whole month. This causes a lot of stress on the VC. The VCs job is to divide the power between the rear and front. 70% to the rear 30% to the front, or so I'm told.

So when 100% was going to the front, the VC failed and locked both front wheels on. The result is you hear the front tires chirp when you turn tight corners and after a time the CV joints start to go as well. CV joints make a lot of clunk noise when they are about to fail. You should hear that at the front of the vehicle. When universal joints begin to fail you will hear that in the drive train. Center of the truck and to the rear.

With all that. I would recommend you check what's happening at the rear to make sure everything is functioning the way it should be. You don't want a U joint to fail and cause damage under there as they are known to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your first observation with the noise upon turning sounds like classic VC trouble. (been there, done that) The clanking and such on first moving forward and the noise when all wheels are jacked up makes me think there is more here than meets the eye.. or ear. The fact that the wheels don't start turning right away after you let off the brakes is a head scratcher and makes me think there is an axle or differential issue.
Please post your findings when you finally get it lined out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts