I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE and I am getting the following error (s):

P1709 Transfer Box Control System fault Transfer Box Controller Signal Fault
P1709 - Transfer box controller signal fault.: Last occurrence - signal fault

Possible causes:
Connector C0331, C0862.
Transfer box control system.
1. Connector C0331, C0862.
CONNECTOR
Check for connector not correctly latched, backed out pins, damaged pins, corroded pins
2. Transfer box control system.

There is a transfer box signal fault. Check the transfer box system for faults.
Use Real Time Monitoring to monitor the transfer box range change signal.
This fault is raised if the selected transfer box range (low or high) is selected and is different from the current range for more than one minute .

The code has changed a few times from P0731 & P0733 ( incorrect gear ratio) and then the P1709.

I have taken it to 2 different places so far and they were not able to figure it out and just said take it to the dealer. One of them told me solenoids 1 and 3 were initialized at the same time but I asked them to check the level of the fluid, connections on the plugs, etc but I know they did not....LAZY!

When I let the car sit for a while it drives fine. After a few the rpms will shoot up and i will either get stuck in 5th gear if I put it in sport mode and just stay in 1st gear.

I have read numerous posts on here and all of the possible causes but I don't want to just start replacing things like MAF, Radiator etc and that not be it.

Could it be the Transfer Case Computer? http://www.roverlandparts.com/2003-2005 ... 4-hse.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of just taking it in to the dealer tomorrow??? :evil:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,309 Posts
I should take it to the dealer for diagnosis if I were you – it may be a fault they’re familiar with.

The workshop manual identifies P1709 as a CAN bus link error with the transfer box ECU (which is hidden behind the battery).

Which diagnostics kit do you have? The messages are pretty specific.

The C0331 connector that it’s referring to is one of the engine control module connectors which can easily be accessed by removing the top off the e-box.

The C0862 reference is the steering angle sensor connector at the bottom of the steering column.

However these two connectors are linked to the transfer box ECU connector (C1319) on the communication data bus circuit and also via the diagnostics socket itself (circuits below)

I guess the statement “This fault is raised if the selected transfer box range (low or high) is selected and is different from the current range for more than one minute” could imply a mechanical/electrical engagement fault of the low/high range so it might also be worth checking this connector too :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35809&start=30#p282941

Certainly the transfer box high/low shift motor mechanism is known to throw up faults occasionally.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

What is the "e-box" and where is it located?

I just bought a Can OBD2 reader called INNOVA. It was cheap and it does the job of telling me what is wrong.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,309 Posts
ZambeziHSE03 said:
What is the "e-box" and where is it located?
It's the big black plastic box under the bonnet, up on the RH inner wing, that houses the engine and transmission ECUs.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I just started the truck and it idled at about 1200 rpm for about a minute and then dropped down to regular idle. I also noticed sometimes if the truck is in Park and idle it will jump up to 1k rpm for a few too. Is that normal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So....the verdict is.....

I need a new transmission and transmission oil cooler.

Now the search begins to find those.

I was quoted 6878.99.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I was just reading info online and came across some information and people have been having the same EXACT problem I have been having for the last few days.

The problem is only happening when the transmission gets hot. When it's cold it is 100% fine.

I am going to go ahead and order a radiator tonight and a transmission oil cooler just to see what happens once the transmission is able to be cooled again. I asked them to check the radiator to see if the bottom rows were messed up and clogged....they did indeed call and tell me the radiator is clogged and it clogged up the oil cooler lines too and they said they can not be cleared because of their design so they have to replace it.

So if I replace the radiator and transmission oil cooler first (I would have to anyway) and see what happens then I won't have to fork out all that money for a new transmission...........................................if the problem still happens then....i'll feel better knowing my money wasnt wasted and I never even tried to test this theory.

Also, my VIN falls in to this category of VINs affected in this TSB.

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover (LM) VIN: 3A101029 to *4A175505*

CONDITION SUMMARY:
BLOCKED COOLING CHANNELS CAUSE TRANSMISSION SHIFT PROBLEMS
Situation:
The customer may experience high engine speeds and/or transmission shift problems after driving for 25 minutes or longer. There may also be a possibility of the transmission overheat message being displayed on the instrument cluster. High transmission fluid temperatures may be the cause of the problem.
There may be a partial blockage of the low flow circuits of the radiator (lower eight tubes that supply coolant to the transmission oil cooler) caused by the *depletion of the coolant corrosion inhibitor*. This can result in insufficient cooling of the automatic transmission fluid. The transmission has a 'normal operating' program whereby if the transmission bulk fluid temperature exceeds a threshold value, the transmission control system will adopt a shift strategy intended to cool down the transmission.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
They said you need a new transmission? hmm. Thats what one mechanic told the previous owner of my car but turned out it was only the transfer box motor.
Find a good indy shop and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ordered a new transmission oil cooler and a new radiator which will be here tomorrow so I'll see what happens after that is installed.

I am going to the VW dealer tomorrow to pick up some G48 Coolant for 20.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
i have no faults on dash board gear box is fine when driving slow but when i try to pick up speed i.e motorway dual carriageway and use the kick down its goes into gear but it judders into gear for a second as if its not going to in 3rd and 4th (i may be wrong could be 4th and 5th). I had a diagnostic from an independent L.R garage and read transfer box timing and transfer code that he had never seen before to do with transfer box timing so he Re-calibrated and cleared codes it was fine until i tryed to put my foot down and then it juddered in to gear the sport mode works fine and manual??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts