1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LocationVirginia Beach, VirginiaPosts37

[h=2]Shuddering at low speed turns[/h]
hi fellow Range Rover owners. I’m having a very frustrating and confusing issue with my 2008 RRS HSE.

Coming from under the truck, there’s an uneasy shuddering when I’m making sharp turns in a parking lot, and even turning at a stop sign. It sounds just awful and I’m afraid to keep driving it. It drives silky smooth in a straight line and even on gradual turns such as a highway on ramp.

It’s funny, when I make a sharp turn while coasting in neutral, no shuddering occurs. That leads me to believe it’s a transfer case problem. I have 113,000 on the clock with no clue on the trucks matenance history.

Does anyone have diagnosis techniques for the front diff and transfer case?

Any and all advise is greatly appreaciated

Alex

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
I'm 99% sure it's your traction control or ABS kicking in, same response as in the other email thread.

You said your tires are new...are the tire pressures set correctly all the way around?

Highly highly unlikely you're going to get any shuddering from the transfer case at all, and I don't see any reason why a diff would cause shuddering when going around corners.

I presume you have also checked your wheel bearings (lift the vehicle and grab the top and bottom of the wheel and see if it moves...any movement at all and your wheel bearing is starting to wear).

Where do you hear the sound coming from? Have you ever taken the wheels off, or jacked up the car, spun the wheels, make sure there are no obviously loose linkages, rocks behind the brake disc covers?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have lifted it in the air and checked all I could. I checked all the wheel hubs. All my suspension is solid. The air pressure is right. The shuddering really sounds mechanical and not electrical. But I’m going to lift it up again and double and triple check everything. Can I remove a fuse for my DCS to see if the shuddering goes away?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Uou can disable the traction control with the DCS button on the dash. However if it is he ABS that will continue to engage. A faulty ABS sensor or wire can cause ABS to kick in on turns. You coold find a large empty parking lot and remove the ABS fuse and see if the problem goes away. Be safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the fuse for both dsc and abs and my problem did not go away. I must not be explaining it right. It’s a fast shudder. Like going over the bumps on the highway desingned to wake you up. And it shakes the whole truck. feels almost like a gears grinding. It only does it during turns. And I can hear as well as feel a clunk in m my gas pedal if i swerve abruptly. It’s 100% a mechanical issue not electrical. I just have to figure out if it’s my front differential or my transfer case.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Option 1:The grinding sound you hear when ABS kicks or Hill Descent (Big yellow button) sounds like what you are describing. That is not electrical, it's the mechanical pulsing or the application of the brakes and it sounds horrible, but that's the right sound, it's normal when that technology is activated.

Options 2: Are you 100% certain your Terrain Response is set to OFF, and you're not perhaps in Sand, Mud Ruts, Gravel or Snow mode? Easy enough to have rotated that knob w/o checking.

Option 3: If that's not it, and you're 100% positive it's not a wheel bearing, and you're 100% certain you have 4 identical tires properly directionaly mounted (brand and size, and all properly inflated).

Option 4: You have any loose internal fender plastic that is coming into contact with the tire when you are turning...check that they are all buttoned up with the fasteners.

Option 5: I'd suggest taking it to an Indy shop, and drive with the tech so one can listen while the other drives.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At 113k miles and no prior history of the vehicle, I would start by changing the oil in the front and rear differential. It is a fairly easy process. I don’t think a fluid change will cure your problem (if it is a failing diff), but if there is little to no fluid, or if the fluid is black and full of metal, you will have found your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 113k miles and no prior history of the vehicle, I would start by changing the oil in the front and rear differential. It is a fairly easy process. I don’t think a fluid change will cure your problem (if it is a failing diff), but if there is little to no fluid, or if the fluid is black and full of metal, you will have found your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that’s very good advice! Why didn’t I think of that! ����*♂ Haha. I’m going to order some fluids and I’ll let you know how it goes.����

1 - 8 of 8 Posts