RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the transfercase uses the same oil as the diffs? Also, how much oil do the front and rear diffs + transfercase hold? This is for a 04 RR.

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Re: Transfer case oil, is it the same as the diff oil? 04 RR

Somewhat predictably the NV225 transfer box uses a unique fully synthetic fluid developed by New Venture Gear & Castrol especially for this transfer box – it’s called Castrol BOT 26 FMB1 and the Land Rover part number is STC4861.

The front & rear differentials require a 75W/90 API GL5 oil although, bizarrely, Land Rover actually specify a different fluid for the front & the rear! The front diff. uses Castrol SAF-XO (p/n TYK500010) and the rear diff. Castrol SAF Carbon MOD Plus 75W/90 (p/n TYK500070).

Capacities are :

Transfer box = 1.0 litres (dry), 0.95 litres (refill)
Front differential = 0.8 litres (dry), 0.75 litres (refill)
Rear differential = 1.2 litres (dry), 1.0 litres (refill)

Phil

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Re: Transfer case oil, is it the same as the diff oil? 04 RR

Gents, any idea why the dealership would charge me $259 per diff for a "Differential Service"? Does anyone know if this entails more than just a fluid swap, and an inspection of the drain magnet for shavings if such a thing exists on a L322?

Unless the fluids are putatively expensive I gotta think there is more to this service than just a fluid swap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Gents, any idea why the dealership would charge me $259 per diff for a "Differential Service"? Does anyone know if this entails more than just a fluid swap, and an inspection of the drain magnet for shavings if such a thing exists on a L322?

Unless the fluids are putatively expensive I gotta think there is more to this service than just a fluid swap.

Thanks!
Dealer charged me $260 to do BOTH front and rear diffs.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
Other than getting a large hex wrench (which I made from an old bolt for free), it's only a 10 minute and $20 job. If they are leaking it would be more...but I assume the dealer prices would be MUCH higher if they were actually leaking.

The term highway robbery comes to mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts