RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First Thanks for all the help that this site provides. I really should contribute more to the site.

I am working on my 2002 Range Rover. It started making funny noise like slipping tires on pavement when you give it the gas more than a little bit. Not a U-joint issue, Also noticed vibrations from 50 MPH and up. From reading the Board here it sounds like a Transfer Case Chain issue? Am I correct?

Done some Research here and it also looks like 1995-2002 transfer Cases interchange. I found a 1996 Transfer case local that I was going to put a new chain on before install. But wanted to be for sure that they are the same Transfer Case. But wanted to make sure that it couldn’t be anything else.

Thanks again Range Rovers Bulletin Board

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Yes they are All the same.
Before you do something in a rush, check whether the motor works on the other one.

Also, you could just change the vicious coupler if that is what you suspect.

Go ahead and drive an 8 on gravel or sand.
What are you rear wheels doing? Are they slipping and locking up?
A second person who drives the 8 while you check is a big help.

Tell us what happened.

A slipping chain shows best in low climbing a steep hill in 1st gear.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Transfer case chain wear shows itself as sounding like someone has just fired a machine gun under the floor under hard acceleration as the chain jumps over the teeth on the sprockets. Seized viscous coupling shows as front wheels scrubbing when pulling away on full steering lock. From your description it doesn't sound like either of those.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
496 Posts
vibrations at 50 sounds like universals, you have to remove the tail shaft to really check if they are done . you will find that the unis are most likely peened inside the caps . you can drive the rover without the shaft this will indicate immediately if this is the problem ( don't drive for miles as this is a test only)do the figure 8 test for viscous coupling as a peace of mind (eliminate this as a problem) I don't think the TC is the problem ,over thinking it IMO?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
A knackered viscous would also give the vibrations, do as Richard mentioned, put it full lock , go forwards and backwards, it will feel like the brakes are applied then let go if the viscous is at fault

1 - 5 of 5 Posts