RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a transfer case from a Discovery 1 or P38 fit in a 1991 without much modification? If so what mods need to be done. Unsure as to what the P38s and Disco 1s have as to manufacturer as I see some people say it is Borg warner and some the LT230. If BW, is it the same case?

I have a few random transfer cases I picked up from a yard for $50 so have to ask before I buy.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
359 Posts
Will a transfer case from a Discovery 1 or P38 fit in a 1991 without much modification? If so what mods need to be done. Unsure as to what the P38s and Disco 1s have as to manufacturer as I see some people say it is Borg warner and some the LT230. If BW, is it the same case?

I have a few random transfer cases I picked up from a yard for $50 so have to ask before I buy.
All Disco 1s have an LT230.

P38s have a BW transfer case that has the output on the left side and Low\High is actuated by the automatic transmission shifter. Don't think these work at all.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Disco 1s have an LT230.

P38s have a BW transfer case that has the output on the left side and Low\High is actuated by the automatic transmission shifter. Don't think these work at all.
Well that’s a bit disappointing.. guess I’ll start looking for a transfer case out of a Classic.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
the LT230 Is an optimal swap. If you find another bw out of a classic, theres a chance you have a limited time before the chain on it also needs replacement.... the LT230 are bulletproof, and gear driven. Also they are manual for lock actuation.

If there is a D1 at your yard, and you are going to get the Transfer case, just also grab- both frame mounts (brackets), the linkage, the shift boot and knob, the front drive shaft, and the spline off the transmission. ( I think thats everything...) if the D1 thats there is a manual, you will need linkage from an auto. swap can be done in a weekend.

Do it.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 91’, yet to put it in my signature as I buy and then sell so many Rovers it’d be pointless.

Am willing to do a LT230 swap, have an LT230 but not any other needed parts to do the swap. I’ll see if there’s any Disco 1s around, what about a Disco 2?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts