RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get my transfer case chain replaced. I know I need a replacement gasket kit.

Question 1: Should I buy an overhaul kit and get all the bearings replaced while it's apart (90,000 miles)?

Question 2: Is it usual to replace the sprockets as a matter of course or look for metal debris in the TC and replace only if its been grinding?

As context it really only jumps under hard acceleration at the moment, not hills or normal standing starts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,
Mine will be replacing the chain next monday, for now i'm only considering to replace the chain itself and the orings, I don´t know if I will need bearings or not but I will find out at the time :roll:
On my RR the chain only jumps on low 1st gear and if pushed, like sand or a very very step hill.

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
When I did mine I didn't do any bearings...only seals. It's been 85k miles since and all is well. I haven't even changed the fluid since then... woops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant. Seals and chain only then, thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SERSAN said:
Hi,
Mine will be replacing the chain next monday, for now i'm only considering to replace the chain itself and the seals, I don´t know if I will need bearings or not but I will find out at the time :roll:
On my RR the chain only jumps on low 1st gear and if pushed, like sand or a very very step hill.

Regards,
Sérgio
Ups, not the orings... the Seals lol :oops:
Regards

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
kmagnuss said:
When I did mine I didn't do any bearings...only seals. It's been 85k miles since and all is well. I haven't even changed the fluid since then... woops.

Time to replace that broken down oil, and see what comes out.....shocking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts