RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings —

This is a (possibly stupid) newbie question but I have been unable to find an answer in the forums or elsewhere. I have (well, my wife has) just purchased a 2006 L322 (supercharged). It is a magnificent beast. It needed an oil change.

I wanted to check the transfer case fluid (and purchased some of the insanely expensive fluid in the event it was low). I’m a fairly experienced mechanic (mostly classic and modern Jaguars). I put the truck on my lift and started to work. Upon removing what I thought was the transfer case level plug, I got about two tablespoons of brown fluid on my shirt (I was supine under the truck as it is so tall that I can only lift it about 2’ before it hits my garage ceiling). I quickly refitted the plug as I assumed that I had removed the wrong plug.

What I thought was surely the level plug (as shown by the purple stars in the pictures):either was not the plug **or** I have a problem of some kind.

So (1) is what I thought was the level plug actually the level plug and (2) if it is, what would cause my transfer case to have excess “fluid”?

Thanks in advance,

— Kevin

L322 Information: 2006; 4.2 supercharged; six-speed auto, (evidently) non-electronic differential
P38 information: 1998; 4.0 non-Bosch; four (?) speed auto

(L322, P38, Classic (years ago and long gone), Jaguars, British motorcycles, and some lesser stuff, such as M-B and Porsche.)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Arrow points to the fill plug (on mine it's an 8mm Allen):
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 13.01.22.png

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have confirmed what I thought: I did, indeed, locate and remove the proper (level) plug. The deposit on my shirt means that I have excess fluid. I'm going to change it ASAP (I only had a single quart of fluid on hand on Sunday when I changed the oil, otherwise I would have done it right then and there).

Does anybody have any idea what might have caused this? This was a two-lady-owner truck, I doubt it's ever been far off-road, and the differentials had no excess fluid.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Differentials have to be filled with a specific quantity. Transfer case is fill till it spills. A couple of tablespoons of fluid coming out, in my amateur opinion should not be cause for concern.
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 14.57.54.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts