RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 S/C has developed a loud clunk about 3 seconds after switching the engine off. It happens every time without fail. I’ve pinpointed the noise as coming from the transfer box but have no warning lights and the change from “high” to “low” range and back again seems to be working fine. The car appears to drive as it should although I have noticed a knock when steering tight at low speed, but this could be my imagination. The transfer case is showing a “P2789 - Clutch adaptive learning at limit” fault code which won’t clear. I’ve checked all the electrical connections to the various tc bits and everything is clean and solid.

Having searched the forum, the only cure I found, short of replacing stuff, was to calibrate the Position/Range Sensor and the Transfer Case Clutch. One of our local Indies say they did that yesterday but there is no change to the problem. I’m not sure where to go from here. I’m loathed to get the Indy to start replacing bits as he was talking about a new transfer box, motor, solenoid, sensor.........This car has already cost me over £6k to keep on the road this year, all that could be the final straw. Any tips on how I can pinpoint the problem? I’m not scared to have a go myself but just need guidance on where to start. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve not got anywhere with this issue. I think I’m going to take the plunge and fork out for a Gap iid tool and re-do the calibrations myself. For some reason I get the feeling the indy’s effort was half hearted if we bother to do it at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I’m kinda having a conversation with myself here but I’m just hoping someone will pitch in and solve my problem.

So I’ve now got the Gap iid tool. Hooked it up and the Range Sensor Calibration confimed okay. But the Clutch Calibration didn’t complete and I get a Transmission Fault Traction Reduced message at which point the range transfer buttons and special programme dial don’t work. If I switch off and restart the engine I get the range transfer and special programmes back but my original problem is still there.

As well as the original “P2789 - Clutch Adaptive Learning At Limit” fault the ATCM module is now showing four “invalid data received” messages as attached.

Other than whilst trying to calibrate the clutch I’ve never lost the ability the transfer from “hi” to “lo” and back although for some unexplained reason I’m not convinced the central diff is locking or unlocking properly. I’m thinking solenoid failure. Is that likely?

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Could be the solenoid, I guess, which maybe isn’t switching between the range-change and clutch-actuation modes properly

Or maybe the clutch plates are worn?

The identical Magna Steyr DD295 transfer box is also used in the Range Rover Sport and Discovery 3 & 4 (with possibly more information available on their forums) and so there are plenty of used units about which usually sell on eBay for between £150 & £300. Sometimes the shift motors are removed but, as your transfer box selects high and low ranges okay, it doesn’t sound like the shift motor is at fault.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/41233-magna-steyr-dd295-transfer-box-teardown.html

Phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Phil, very informative. I’m tempted to drop the tc and follow your guide to check the clutch plates. What can go wrong if it looks like I’m going to have to replace it anyway? Do you know anywhere in the UK that can supply new plates??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to close this one out..... I sourced a used transfer case from a breaker complete with motor and solenoid for £300. Thought this would cover all the bases and it works a treat. I may at some point crack the old case open following Phil’s guide and see what can be done but right now I’m just happy to have saved ££££ against what the Indy was quoting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts