RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming that you have no leaks, is there any reason you cannot do the below:

1) When draining, for this example exactly 5 Qts come out.

2) Cold: pump oil in until it just begins to run out, stop.

3) Slightly lift rear of truck, start engine, pump the remaining oil back in to equal the 5qts that came out, and close it up.

I did this the last few times and worked fine, as unless you get the truck perfectly level, the set level method of filling running warm until it runs out is not accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the method of warming the trans up and letting the fluid run out is designed from the stand point of a workshop doing the job on a hoist so generally the car would be level or very close to level so as make no difference.

Not designed for DIY at home with just the front end jacked up.

That being said I don't see why your way wouldn't work. Presuming you had the right amount of fluid in there in the first place, as you said you have no leaks and you replace exactly what you drain out.

I once did the same procedure on a MK5 Golf GTI with the DSG box which had a similar filling process to the RR in terms of getting the box up to temp.

I just measured exactly what came out and put the same back in. Easier done on those as you fill from the top though.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I do like that idea but to add to this, run until oil up to temp and check with laser thermometer. If level and oil is right there then you are sure you are good and then go ahead with the tilt method. My further thought would be to do the procedure on the 06? to 09 as per our Mr Merlin iirc has suggested for the 03-05 .BMW 5hp24 trans so all the oil is out or better that the 1/2 change doesn't shock the tyranny too much as rrphil has preferred not to change or reset the adaptions iirc and my life has also suggested not to play with that part of the trans. So drop out what comes out, replace oil and run it a bit and then do the second change and drop the filter and change that also. Comments appreciated as ours should be done soon being 10 years and 128k miles. Thx

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO I've been using this method for a while now, trans has 200K on it.

Diff: Back when I did the service at 60K, I dropped the pan replaced the filter. then at 70K and 90K I just did a drain and refill. When I did it at 90, the fluid came out clear. I've always preferred to do several drain/fill over a short period as opposed to a flush, and risk a shocking the trans....regardless, trans shifts just it did at 50K with 200K.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Very good. Thankyou. Filter it is

1 - 5 of 5 Posts