RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Following a recent upgrade to a L322 from P38 I appear to have bought a car with a slight issue (was cheap so I kind of factored in gearbox recon at some point..).

After approximately 100 miles driving I got the dreaded trans prog safe message. Cycled the ignition and it is fine again. Read P0733 fault code.

This has happened a few times since (in approx another 100 miles).

I have only had the car few days sometimes it has done 40 miles with no issue and on another occasion went bong twice in 5 miles. Still I don't have enough examples to try and find a common reason for it going off.... Although it has happened a couple of times accelerating up hill from a standstill while turning sharply. Not driving it any more until I have a chance to check levels..

Car also reported a steering angle fault - I don't suppose these could be related...? Did also cross my mind that this could be battery related as from mileage records it has not gone far - when I got it the +ve terminal was loose and post was covered in copper grease. Cleaned it up, but still got the error pop up again. Not checked V yet will dig out multi meter tonight.

Aside from this the gearbox appears to work well no thumps or bangs (does take 1/2 second to engage reveres but I guess this is normal?)

I have a 20litre keg of correct gearbox oil so tonight will check levels and change oil.

Appreciate that I have not had a chance to do any of the basic checks yet (having spent hours reading through the forums) so this post is a bit premature, but interested in thoughts.

Also if there is a good source of recon box/transfer box that anyone could recommend as I am somewhat resigned to this outcome. I have facilities to remove/replace, but might pay to get it done if there is someone local to Andover/Basingstoke/Southampton. Oh and I am supposed to be driving it to west coast of Ireland end of next week :)

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well well, changed the oil. I checked it first and it was definitely low.

Drained out only 2Litres!! Roughly 6 ish litres went back in.

So either it was under-filled at last service (receipt for 3000 miles ago on service history), or it leaked out... or I have fkd up the check refill method (35 deg having gone through gears etc) - I'll get it back on the ramp tomorrow and check again.

At the same time as the oil change the front prop shaft was replaced. I found the bolts were hand tight!!

Time and miles will tell - I'll report back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts