RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 L322 TD6 with the GM5 5L40-E gearbox with 116,000 km and fully serviced.
Last week I decided to change the AT fluid, filter and gasket, and drained sump and replaced filter with genuine LR THE50031 IBS Filtran filter. Filled the transmission using Texamatic 7045E ATF strictly following RAVE procedure and using GAP IID tool to set fluid level at correct gearbox temp. Then also replaced Transfer box oil using LR recommended Castrol Transfer Box oil and filled same using LR procedure.
Then went to road test vehicle and drove approx. 400 m initially and all working fine. Stopped vehicle and set to Low Ratio, and all fine, then with vehicle stopped and in Neutral selected High Ratio and went to “Drive” on gear selector and immediately received “Trans. Failsafe Prog” and car went into limp home mode (5th gear). I drove vehicle back home and using GAP IID tool diagnosed the following faults:-
Transfer Box
1/2 (0x5212) Battery Under Voltage
2//2 (0x5223) Signal Noise in Acctuator

Transmission
TCM Transmission Solenoid 4 Pressure Line General Fault.
I cleared the faults using GAP tool and fully charged up battery for 24 hrs.
Whilst test driving the vehicle since then, I am able to get approx 800m before the “Trans. failsafe Prog”appears. If I turn ignition off then on, the vehicle returns to normal mode and gearbox functions in all 5 speed gears, until the dreaded failsafe returns after about the same distance driven, every time after switching ignition off and on. I would assume that this then rules out temperature, so more like time or distance related fault?. (max gearbox temp recorded is 88 Deg C).
Is it merely coincidence that all of this has happened immediately after oil change?, could this be a faulty transfer box stepper motor potentiometer?, or could my gearbox have suddenly junked when new higher viscosity fluid introduced?. Note no metal filings observed in sump when initially drained and cleaned.
I have reviewed several blogs indicating “Trans. Failsafe Prog” can be caused by Faulty Stepper Motor, Gearbox Faulty Neutral Sensor Switch, Faulty ECU or possibly blown seals, sensors etc. within transmission gearbox.
I am in Norway which is the most expensive place on the Planet with respect to LR parts and labour, therefore not to keen on going through the cost of process of elimination.
I came across this comprehensive “Trans. Failsafe Prog” diagnosis article which eventually pointed to the Stepper Motor potentiometer requiring replacement. http://www.valvebodypros.com/assets/range-rover-t-case-problem.pdf
I have also located a company in UK called LRO4x4 which claim to fully refurbish the Stepper Motor and replace the potentiometer with a more robust Potentiometer for £385, has anyone any experience with this company?. They supposedly provide a 12 Month warranty for the refurbished Stepper Motor.
http://4x4lro.co.uk/home

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further to above information, it would appear on several road tests that transmission gearbox is fine in gears 1 to 3 when in manual mode, howeve4 as soon as 4th gear is engaged then the dreaded Trans. Failsafe Mode appears. Same result when using auto Drive mode, as soon as up into 4th jumps to failsafe mode.
TCM Transmission Fault: Solenoid 4 Pressure Line General Fault.
Can this be fixed without removing gearbox?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts