RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Today I got trans failsafe prog in my 2003 Range Rover 4.4 when I got up to motorway speeds. It reset upon restarting the car but again appeared after driving above 50mph for around a minute. One time it went into 4th (I think), and and one time I just got the messages but no limp mode. Each time it happened I got the message around 3 times with a few seconds delay between each message. Later in the day I also got another trans failsafe message with the key in position 2 but the engine wasn't started.

I'm planning to change the gearbox oil later in the week.

I read the codes with my OBD2 reader but only got a code relating the engine (P0443 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit). Can you actually read the gearbox faults with a generic OBD2 reader or do I need to take it to have the codes read somewhere with the right equipment/purchase All Comms/something? I searched on the forums but couldn't find anyone mentioning if you could or not.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
Unfortunately you can not check the transmission codes with the standard obd2 you will need a factory specific tool like autologic or t4

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to update this thread. Turns out it was the transfer box shift motor causing it to go into limp mode.

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
Yes if you have a output speed sensor fault logged in the transmission ecu and your sensor is good this is being triggered by the tbox shift motor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts