RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.4l 2003 zf5 trans...
I keep getting random trans fail safe mode.
Most of the time it will register but not actually engage 4th gear fail safe mode. If i turn off the truck and restart or move shifter through gears several times then restart it will not come back on for random period of time.

Finally got a P1709 engine light.

Anyone have experience with this? I am an ase certified master tech with my own shop, this is my personal vehicle i just recently picked up.
I am planning on taking the inhibitor switch off...drilling out the rivets and inspecting the switch internals...then doing a resistence check on the wire harness. If this is all good then i suppose a resistance check on the wire harness to ECU wires.

From what i've read on the forums it's either this switch or an internal seal in the trans...

Is there anything obvious that could be causing this?? It's really bad when it SLAMS into 4th gear i dont want the transmission to be damaged. Everything else seems to be running very well. Trans shifts fairly smooth and the torque converter chatter went away after i service the trans with new filter and a really good flushing.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,342 Posts
Issues with the inhibitor switch generally flag the P0705 code.

Is the transfer box shift motor potentiometer behaving itself (i.e. are there any problems shifting into low range and then back in to high again)? This potentiometer is a very common cause of the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG message.

I’m sure you’re aware that low battery voltage is the most common cause for the message.

Phil

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
78 Posts
Phil,

I have been having this peculiar transmission issue that might be related to potentiometer misbehaving. The issue is; after getting stuck in the traffic for like 45mins to an hour, suddenly the tachometer would go up(the engine would be running high) and dreadful gong would sound and the truck would not move. If you shift the selector from D to neutral and back again to D, the truck would move normally and the transmission would be working perfectly. I am at a lost to what might be going on and I know you are the transmission expert. My truck is 2004 with 5ZF24 transmission. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm having a problem with my 04 where even when cold or hot it states off driving slow
but sometimes normal speed and then when at stop sign or in traffic when slowed down to stop and start to accelerate it will make a big pop or jolt and then tranfailsafe message comes on ? is this the speed sensor issues or could it be the potentiometer any help would be greatly appreciated i don't want to have to get anew transmission if not necessary ..

thanks
Donovan Smth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Phil,

I've been having the same problem with my 2006 RR for a number of years. The first time I had it rebuilt, it ran fine for a year or two. Then my mechanic offered to open it up again but it didn't fix the problem and fail safe mode was a common occurrence. Some days it won't go bad and other days whatever I do, it won't stay out of limp mode. a year ago I changed the battery and it fixed it until one day, about 8 months later, it did it again. Now, although it is random, I can't rely on the truck for any longer then 30 minutes driving. One code I always get shows a problem between 5th and 6th gear. Before it goes into limp mode it acts as if it doesn't know which gear to pick and just freaks out. I hope you can help me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Issues with the inhibitor switch generally flag the P0705 code.

Is the transfer box shift motor potentiometer behaving itself (i.e. are there any problems shifting into low range and then back in to high again)? This potentiometer is a very common cause of the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG message.

I’m sure you’re aware that low battery voltage is the most common cause for the message.

Phil
I installed a second battery with 800 cca, two power caps 2.1 and 5.9 farads, -- the voltmeters on the caps never dip below 12.5 as far as i can tell. And, this is an issue whether or not i have the subwoofer/music on or not.
I suppose it is possible to be a voltage problem...i can replace the bosch battery under the bonnet.

Have not ever noticed a problem shifting from low to high or high to low.

Should have all my new brake parts in tomorrow and if that's the case....im sure i'll be inspired to take pictures and make a full write up. This is definitely one of the most annoying things to have happening. too bad I cannot just swap in a manual trans. Would be very nice to have...

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
150 Posts
Codes codes codes! Have the car scanned, or buy a scanner, and let us see the codes. be aware that a failed Transfer Case shift motor potentiometer CAN throw a output speed sensor code.

D2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Phil,
I greatly appreciate if you could advise me how to properly troubleshoot my ZF5hp24.
The vehicle is jerking in reverse and runs only in 4th gear failsafe mode. All attempts to get a proper diagnostic in numerous transmission shops were unsuccessful. The BMW dealer recommended to replace a valve and I did, but nothing has changed. Finally I have pulled the transmission and took it apart. To my knowledge I could not see anything unusual, in any case I have replaced the 0501 212 967 piston in clutch F. and put everything back together. Well... nothing has changed. I still have the same problem - the vehicle is jerking in reverse and run only on 4th gear in fail safe mode.
You are very knowledgeable on theses transmissions and awesome in helping people wit their problems.
I appreciate any help on this.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ZF 5HP24 is jerking in reverse and runs only in 4th gear in fail safe mode. Numerous visits to mechanics did not give any positive results.
Can anyone help me to properly troubleshoot the problem?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4.4l 2003 zf5 trans...
I keep getting random trans fail safe mode.
Most of the time it will register but not actually engage 4th gear fail safe mode. If i turn off the truck and restart or move shifter through gears several times then restart it will not come back on for random period of time.

Finally got a P1709 engine light.

Anyone have experience with this? I am an ase certified master tech with my own shop, this is my personal vehicle i just recently picked up.
I am planning on taking the inhibitor switch off...drilling out the rivets and inspecting the switch internals...then doing a resistence check on the wire harness. If this is all good then i suppose a resistance check on the wire harness to ECU wires.

From what i've read on the forums it's either this switch or an internal seal in the trans...

Is there anything obvious that could be causing this?? It's really bad when it SLAMS into 4th gear i dont want the transmission to be damaged. Everything else seems to be running very well. Trans shifts fairly smooth and the torque converter chatter went away after i service the trans with new filter and a really good flushing.
I have the same problem in my 2003 range rover HSE I replace the input and output shaft sensor change the fluid in the transmission twice replace the trans gasket twice and it hasn’t shown in a long time but it did have a transfer case code but I haven’t seen it in a month or two since driving it more oftenSo I’m thinking the transfer case motor is the culprit and I’m planning on getting it rebuilt it’s cheaper than buying it brand new 385 instead of $1000 if you found a solution to this problem please let me know how you handled it so I can do the same thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts