RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trans fail safe program from cold start Report post hi guys anyone come across this , on my 2004 v8 petrol i am getting trans fail safe come on screen straight away on start up sometimes or maybe 30 sec ,1 min or 5 min also when i get this come on screen i have limited drive feels like i am pulling away in top gear , will go away if i switch off on and again but comes back quite often seems odd cant be gearbox oil over temp because it happens so soon , i did have trans fail safe a few years ago but that was 30-40 mins after- and i changed the radiator oil cooler and fliud and the fault went away nothing comes up under diagnostics also fitted a new battery 3 weeks ago as old one was failing but fault is still there , any ideas Confused

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
A faulty inhibitor switch may be a possibility. Does the gear position indicator on the instrument panel ever not light up?

Phil

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can’t say I’ve noticed Phil will have a look tomorrow

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phil if the display is intermittent /at fault what would be the next step with the inhibit switch .....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Well, they’re stupidly expensive to buy new (just Google the part number – UHB 500020) so I’d be tempted to drill out the 7 rivets and take a look inside to see if it’s just the contacts that have become contaminated.

Previously-enjoyed switches often appear on eBay for around the £150 mark, but obviously you’re taking a risk with those. Failsafe errors should be stored in the controller and an inhibitor switch fault would flag a P0705 code.

Phil

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Phil as always your wealth of knowledge is second to none .will check this out today and come back with what I find

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Road test this morning and trans fail safe bings up within 1 min ,then looking at gear selection display blank so putting her on the ramp ready for removal of inhibitor switch and strip down

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed the inhibitor switch and drilled out the rivets and opened the case
The contacts didn’t seem bad but cleaned them up along with the spring contacts and slightly tightened the spring contacts then a little silicon grease

I cut a m5 thread in the aluminium plate so I was able to secure the 2 half’s together with a machine screw
Refit to car and up until now no faults so hopefully a job well done

cant seem to upload pics maybe something i am doing wrong

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts