RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I just found this forum a few days ago and basically there is way to much information for me to digest considering I'm not that savvy when it comes to mechanical issues with my truck. Hopefully somebody can provide my with some insight into some problems I've been having with my 98 4.6 HSE (105,000 mi).

A couple of months ago I noticed my some slipping in my rear tires. This would happen coming out of a dead stop or even accelerating on the highway. It's not a screeching of the tires but rapid intermitent slipping. After consulting with a couple of mechanics everybody was guessing it was the transmission. I took my car in for an oil change and asked my mechanic to have a look at the tranny to see what's up. When I get it back from him the transmission was shot. I was able to drive it home by manually shifting down to 1st, then 2nd and so on until I could put it back into drive and I got "gearbox fault" message for the first time. I thought this guy screwed something up but I couldn't prove anything.

After calling around for some quotes I found that a rebuilt transmission was around $1,200. One parts dealer that only sells Land Rover parts offered me a used transmission for $600 along with a 90 warranty if a mechanic he referred me to installed it.

I take my Rover to this mechanic and and he confirms there is no help for my tranny so I purchase the used one.

So here I am now, new (used) tranny installed:

-My rear tires are still slipping :shock:
-The transmission does not seem to perfrom as well as it did in "sport mode" with my previous transmission.
-Clanking noise when turning (transfer case chain?)

I brought up the slipping of the tires to my mechanic and he said that it's due to the transfer case chain. Does this make sense?

It also seems that I have step on the gas pedal deeper to get the same response from the engine. Could this be due to a crappy used tranny, the wrong type/ year tranny being installed (different for 4.0 and 4.6? / 96 and 98) or am I just crazy and this is one of those thing that it either works or it doesn't and there are no varying degrees of performance?

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Why is it that you think your rear tires are slipping? Because I can tell you for certain that they're not. Is it a loud almost machine gun like sound coming from the car as you accelarate quickly from a stop...or even rolling at this point? If so, it's most likely your transfer case chain, and has been all along...and your mechanic screwed up your tranny. If you want to test it, stand on the brakes and give it some gas at the same time (don't do this in your garage)...see if you can duplicate that noise.

As for the clanking noise...it could be partly due to a bad viscous coupler and/or cv joint(s)...but I'm not really sure...hell, it could be a bad exhaust hangar.

As for the tranny not performing the same...it could be your computer needs to adjust to your driving style again...or a difference of fluids, or who the hell knows.

I wish I could be more help...good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Your symptom sure sounds like a TC chain.

But, what I really wanted to get to is how is a bad TC chain and transmission related? I've also had a problem w/ my TC chain slipping, and took it for a repair. Anyway, a repair that was to be $1,200 turned into $5,000, because the mechanic "found out" that the transmission was also shot, while fixing the TC....The symptom being, they couldn't shift the transmission normally. So, instead of just replacing the TC chain, I've gone through a transmission rebuild as well.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
When my TC chain went, I was in the middle of moving across the country and didn't have the time to fix it myself, so I brought it in to fix.
Two different mechanics tried to tell me my tranny was shot also...and both of them also swore up and down that the TC chain wouldn't fix anything.

I ended up telling the last guy to just replace the chain, don't touch anything else, and if it doesn't work I'll still pay him for the work. In the end, it worked just fine and all is well after 50k miles.

Not all, but most mechanics really aren't all that smart. I'm sure there are thousands of them out there that are smarter than me, but I haven't met one yet in person (allyv8 is probably 10 times smarter than me, btw). Learn to wrench yourself. You can fix anything you make worse, plus you know that there will be no shortcuts taken or anything else fiddled with, causing you to come back for more work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If your chain is banging a lot and you don't fix it soon it might (it seems this already happened to some people on here, afaik) also kill your a-clutch packs, or whatever they are called, in the auto box because each bang puts a huge load on the transmission and it will slowly wear out.
The symptoms of such damage is that no gear will engage if put in D, it will only start moving in 1st gear.

In any case, if its the TC chain you shouldn't drive it very much while it is banging, the jolt sent trough the drive train and the chain possibly hitting the transfer case can't be good.

Sigi

·
Registered
917 Posts
From my experience, unfortunately, I'll probably win a lottery before I come across a knowledgeable, ethical mechanic.

I'm pretty sure that the transmission was working, as I drove the car in myself. Besides, I took in the car within 2-3 days of hearing the slip. The transmission stopped changing gear as the mechanic was fixing the TC-So, to me sounds like the mechanic screwed up somewhere, and I ended up with the tab for the screw up.

Anyhow, it was an expensive lesson, but ever since then I've done all my diagnostics/repairs/maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kmagnuss said:
Why is it that you think your rear tires are slipping? Because I can tell you for certain that they're not. Is it a loud almost machine gun like sound coming from the car as you accelarate quickly from a stop...or even rolling at this point? If so, it's most likely your transfer case chain, and has been all along...and your mechanic screwed up your tranny. If you want to test it, stand on the brakes and give it some gas at the same time (don't do this in your garage)...see if you can duplicate that noise.
Took your advice and you were 100% correct. I heard the rapid fire noise while standing on my brakes an giving it gas. My tranny was probably fine all along until the first mechanic I took it to screwed it up and I ended up dishing out $1400 to have my tranny replaced.

NEW NEWS: Leaving work yesterday, my rover isn't responding to the tranny. I drop it in to reverse or Drive or any other gear and nothing happens. Could my TC Chain have given out and slipped? Or is there definitly a problem with my new (used) tranny?

Anybody know of a good Rover mechanic in south Florida?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP KMAGNUSS AND EVERYBODY ELSE!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Well...you have a warranty, so take it back and tell them it's not fixed. When they finally figure out it was the TC all along, tell them they need to fix it and eat it, or you'll be lawyering up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kmagnuss said:
Well...you have a warranty, so take it back and tell them it's not fixed. When they finally figure out it was the TC all along, tell them they need to fix it and eat it, or you'll be lawyering up.
So I never had a problem with my tranny?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts