RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was lovely. :?

It rained a ton here yesterday, and there was a particular parking lot that flooded pretty well, so I thought I'd have a little fun. It was about a foot and a half deep at the deepest spot, and I went through at about 7-12 MPH, just enough to send a good wall of water up on both sides. It was a very long puddle (probably over 200 ft long) and about halfway in, the Transfer Case Overheat warning popped up for about 2 seconds and went away, so I drove out the side of the puddle immediately. No other warnings came up so I drove off. About 15 minutes later the transmission started hunting a bunch while driving along a flat, straight road at about 45 MPH, and the instrument cluster gear display is switching between D & 3 frantically. I pulled over into a parking lot immediately and thought I'd be clever and shut the car off and restart it and clear whatever little error popped up.

Nope.

Won't start up again, because it's convinced it's in either R, 3, or 2 (now the LEDs by the gear shifter are dancing and the display on the cluster is freaking out switching between those gears). Stupid park/neutral interlock. To make matters worse it wouldn't let me remove the key since it thought it wasn't in park.

Mechanically, the tranny is fine. It does shift into park and neutral, so it's just electronic. I locked it with the other key last night, and this morning it was dead, but it let me at least get the old key out. I haven't had a chance to jump it yet so I don't know if the problem will be there or not, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any ideas what I did wrong to cause this? I'm pretty new to all this, and certainly didn't think splashing through a puddle would do anything since the water was well below the undercarriage if sitting still. And, any ideas what to do to fix this?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I wanted you to have as much helpful info as possible.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: Tranny Electronics Problems (Or, what not to do in the rain)

I had this after all the rain we had in the early part of the year, just got to work, left it for a few days as i was away, got back and alls well again.
It would seem to be to do with the wiring on the selector by the gear box. This tells the ecu which gear is selected.

·
Registered
300 Posts

The gear position sensor is acting up. I think it is also called the XYZ switch. In my case, all it took was to go over a puddle created by runoff from someone watering the lawn. It should be alright once it dries (at least mine was).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks a bunch guys. I see videos of people splashing through rivers without issue, so is this a function of water AND old age, or if I put a new one in and go through a similar puddle will I have the same issue again?

Also, just an update, it's been sitting almost 24 hours with the battery dead since this happened, I just jumped it to check and see, and it's still acting up. Should I remove the switch and let it dry off in a bag of rice?

·
Registered
269 Posts

E36 Phantom said:
...if I put a new one in and go through a similar puddle will I have the same issue again?
Not likely. Mine's been just fine during those irrisistable puddle stomping sessions. Couldn't tell you how new my switch is though, I've personally never had to replace it, thankfully. I don't think its any kind of design flaw, like you say, probably due to old age.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

Scotty has the switch you need IIRC. Seem to think he had one for sale in one of his threads.
Most of the way down, in his first posting looks like the XYZ switch to me?
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38209

Martin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, you guys were right. Time seems to have cured it. I'm gonna put it on ramps and see about sealing up whatever box is around the switch.

At least it's working for now.....

Tango, that's an amazing picture. Love it!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts

I agree, it probably is the Gear Position Switch. I had the same problems, and the reason was that the breather hose had come off and the switch was wet inside. You should check foir that hose, mine was completely gone and I had to make a new one. If you have got water inside, the corrosion has started and it will not be enough to attach the hose, the problem will then come back. Good news is that it can easily be fixed, you probably do not need a new switch. I wrote a small guide that you can find here:

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19538&p=211641&hilit=gear+positions+switch#p138781

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
777 Posts

Older models like your's have a drain tube on them. The newer model XYZ switches do not...wonder if they noticed any problems? Old switch interchanges with new switch no problem, once the bosch connector is cut and spliced in favor of the GEMS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts