RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to doing my trailer wiring last Thursday (since I had something to tow Friday...)

I found an adaptor for a jeep Cherokee at NAPA, (I'll find the part # later). The plug was almost the same, but no cigar. The Cherokee adaptor is an online adaptor, so it's 2 plugs, male and female...

I pulled the pins out of the LR plug, re-arranged them for proper connection. There is a little barb on the bottom of the pin, that stops it from going too far forward, crimp that down and the slide perfectly into the NAPA connector. Use the ETM to ensure you have the right connection..

Will upload photos later

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
close, but no cigar, the J**p plug is ALMOST the same as the rover plug.

crimp the barb down:

the connections are in a Y, so it's easy to check continuity across the plug, clamp onto the other end of the Y and probe the back of the other side.

The wires arn't in the correct location either... and the LR has Left tail/right tail lights, the standard US connector just has "tail" lights, so I connected the two together with one of the spare wires.

Works great, and when I put on my blinker, the trailer notification blinks. Not sure if it's supposed to be solid, but I like the reminder, "hey, don't forget the trailer when you turn!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trailer wiring made simpler if you really know how to do it. Many times, trailer wiring is as easy as inserting the trailer plug into your vehicle's pre-rigged system. Whether your vehicle is pre-rigged or not, you'll have to go through the necessary steps to make sure your trailer is wired to your car.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
It's even simpler when one doesn't use the US flashing-stop-light-as-an-indicator system and uses separate indicator/turn signals like the rest of the world. :D

Why has the USA stuck with a system that was discarded Down Under over 50 years ago?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p38arover said:
It's even simpler when one doesn't use the US flashing-stop-light-as-an-indicator system and uses separate indicator/turn signals like the rest of the world. :D

Why has the USA stuck with a system that was discarded Down Under over 50 years ago?
because we'll do it our way, ****-it!

doesn't make sense to me either, if I ever buy a trailer, i'll probably leave it wired the US way so it can be easily towed by any vehicle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dennis,

After plugged into the harness - where did you run the Jeep harness?

Is it down next to the receiver someplace?

Not that I plan on towing with ours - but it would be nice to hook up the sail boat or jet ski for a weekend getaway with the wife! ;)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the OEM wiring goes down through a small hole that the installed 4 pin wont fit through, so I just ran it through the rear hatch seal, not pretty and wouldn't leave it long-term, but it worked.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
shupack said:
if I ever buy a trailer, i'll probably leave it wired the US way so it can be easily towed by any vehicle.
No, no, no! Wire it up with separate turn signals and no-one can ask to borrow it! :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
shupack said:
Yes, the OEM wiring goes down through a small hole that the installed 4 pin wont fit through, so I just ran it through the rear hatch seal, not pretty and wouldn't leave it long-term, but it worked.

I shaved the sides of the 4 pin a bit with a utility knife and did manage to squeeze it through that round grommet inside that little compartment on the right side of the cargo area. Literally fitting a square (ok rectangular) peg in a round hole. PITA but mine at least had enough excess plastic that shaving doesn't hurt the connectors.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jackielyn12 said:
I just want to say thank you for sharing with us how to do a trailer wiring. It is a simple one as long as you have a complete wire. And I think I can now do trailer wiring with my own without asking someone's help.
That was my goal! Good luck, let us know if you need help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts