RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the OEM trailer wiring harness myself. All went smoothly.. too smoothly i fear.

I don't yet have the trailer to test it all, but all of the lights on the RR work normally with the exception of the green "trailer warning indicator".

Now it lights up, but there is nothing attached to the trailer hitch wiring plug...

Where did I go wrong, or is this a normal issue?

thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**update**

after driving it tonight I realize that this warning light comes off and on inconsistently. No relation to brakes, turn signal.. and when I turn the truck off, I got "check trailer light" on the dash read out...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dinna have any warning or indication that I am hooked up on me dash.
Even when I indicate to turn, nowt.

The only thing that changes is the suspension 'locks' on normal

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Same here, I believe I got the genuine kit on there. But I get no warning light that anything is connected.

Suspension locks in standard height though. I've used different trailers/c'vans so it's deffo the car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have standard harness and get no warning lights when no trailer is installed. The green dash light comes on when the trailer is connected. Not sure about the ride height; when trailer is connected I can raise and lower the truck as always.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

Rented a UHaul trailer and could not get any of the lights to come on.. A quick check of the harness plug I installed showed NO power to any of the contacts... I can't for the life of me figure out why... I have gone back and checked and rechecked the installations several times, and seriously, it is three simple connections...

A ground
Plugging Harness to the supplied control box
Plugging Harness to the awaiting connector in the truck

There really isn't anything you can seemingly screw up here, but clearly I have...

Remember I was getting the odd, inconsistent appearance of the trailer warning light in the dash with NOTHING attached...

I purchased the harness from BPUtah.com and the parts look identical to the stuff my local dealer wanted to sell me for $150+.

I would appreciate any troubleshooting hints you might provide... thanks!

(is there some sort of system reset I would need to do so the truck could "see" the new trailer wiring kit?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jhepworth said:
actually - 4 steps -

you have to put the relay in as well. Did you go that part?

jh

there was a relay at the end of one of the harnesses, but the instructions show it to simply "dangle" along with the harness as you ziptie it to the other wires... is there somewhere that is to be installed, or activated?

thanks

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after looking again both at the truck and the instructions (kit # ywj500480) step #19 clearly shows allowing this relay (I think that is what it is) to dangle and be wire-tied to the existing harness and just hang there.

A visual inspection of this part shows that it is a "FoMoCo" relay plugged into a male end on the harness. there is no where else to place it... Is it possible that this is really a cover over a plug to remove and then plug into someplace else?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
There are a number of Land Rover wiring kits available for the L322 depending on which country you are in (4-pin, 7-pin & 13-pin) and the number of sockets. Some appear to have this separate relay and others don't.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a trailer and our neighbor has it too but last night, their trailer was stolen by a theft. So we decided to put a warning indicator on our trailer. Like the car that when someone wants to hold it, the warning indicator will ring and we also put a light. We just do it to be safe, right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good idea.......... shame bout yer neeboure trailer tho.

However, I do think tis a diferent trailer light that we are oan aboot here.
Tis aboot a warning light that does or does not appear on the dash display when trailer attached.
I like the idea tho :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts