RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently used uhaul 5'x9' open trailers, 2 separate times 2 trailers, cold winter subzero temps, travelling 300km each way, all highway driving at 100-120 km/hr. One way trailer was empty, return way trailer had an ATV loaded on it (max 600 lbs.) I noticed there was a significant drop in gas mileage. Traveling the same road without a trailer the car averaged 14 litres/100 km. With the trailer attached, empty or loaded with the ATV, it averaged 19 litres/100 km.

Interested in hearing other's experience and take on this subject. I was hoping such a trailer should be well within the Rover's capability, but now I'm thinking such gas consumption means must have been pushing the car to its limits.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Uh.. gas mileage isn't based on just weight.
temperature, wind, speed of traffic, and aerodynamics of the lump of the ATV could have played a roll as well.

That is no where near the end of the Landys capability. I have towed over 8,000 pounds with my 4.0 Disco2, 4.4 Jag and BMW RR, 5.0 RRS, and 5.0 RRs. So far I've not had any complaints of fuel economy.

The only time I ever did measure fuel economy with a trailer was with my 2005 RR a few years back. I was towing with a Uhaul aluminium trailer loaded with my 1986 Range Rover Classic. Driving through hilly terrain I got around 12 the entire trip. Mostly backroads at 55-65MPH.

I lied. I trailered my 1991 home with my 2002 Disco 2 4.0 with 180HP from southern IL. Apart from getting 5 MPG the entire trip (the trip there was without a trailer, on the interstate at 85..), and being at WOT at all times, it was fine. But it shows that towing really does affect MPG. This was after the accident with my 2011, and did not want to tie up the fiance's 2010 that we had at the time. Would NOT tow with the Disco again, too short of a wheel base. Scary at times.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
So around 12 mpg with a trailer, sounds about right even though I don't typically measure when hauling. You are pushing a lot more air out of the way so the engine is working harder. You are nowhere near the limits of your RR. If you want better mileage while towing something small like a 1000 lbs load, you need a smaller vehicle not a bigger one.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Keralis is dead on what is that 600 pound "ATV" is this a little four wheeler motorcycle a huge sand rail with carbon fiber core and massive wind screen, roof and flat back window.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
245 Posts
While towing a 5,000 pound (2,268 kg) camping trailer with my 2004 BMW L322, I get 9 miles per gallon, or 26 liters per 100 KM for you folks who have kings and queens, or enjoy oversized cans of Fosters Ale. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts