RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

Can anyone tell me about the trailer connector on a 90 and if it has the potential for trailer braking. Is it an accessory harness I must buy or is it already there somewhere? I've read about the dash light action.

A search only brought up two posts neither of which was very helpfu.

I have to tow my racecar trailer next month and I remember it didn't want to stop even when empty... :roll:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Searching the vendors yields nothing, apparently a 90 is off their radar. Maybe tomorrow I'll call the dealer where I'll find even less knowledge than I have.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
for a electrical braking system you have to add the control box and wire to the trailer brakes .

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
GT6Steve said:
Good Morning,

Can anyone tell me about the trailer connector on a 90 and if it has the potential for trailer braking. Is it an accessory harness I must buy or is it already there somewhere? I've read about the dash light action.

A search only brought up two posts neither of which was very helpfu.

I have to tow my racecar trailer next month and I remember it didn't want to stop even when empty... :roll:
It would help to know in which country you are located. The trailer connectors are different around the world - the 7-pin connectors used here does have provision for braking. See http://www.campertrailers.org/trailer_w ... iagram.htm

You will, of course, need a brake controller.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course you are correct. I'm used to my Avatar saying Las Vegas Nevada USA and never noticed this one did not. My apologies to all.

I'm using a seven pin flat connector on mine but I assumed the factory harness rectangular connector would just hanfg some leads to be terminated into whatever trailer plug was available.

Now I surmise the trailer indicator on the dash simply monitors the current and identifies when there are extra lamps.

I guess I'll just have to treat it as just another trailer hookup install, duplicating the RV, and work it out. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The British plugs (two 6-pin plugs, if I remember rightly) behind the tail light are completely standard for England, but they require aftermarket sockets that are difficult to find in the US. They're not impossible to find; the previous owner of our Rover found them, but he didn't wire them up correctly to the U-Haul 4-pin plug he put in. I bought a cheap electronic adapter that bridges the amber turn signal lights to the red brake lights to correctly control the dual filament trailer brake lights here in the US. Any trailer shop will have this adapter. It works perfectly, but the only drawback is that the trailer light on the dashboard flashes with the turn signal only while the brake lights aren't on, and it stops flashing when the brakes are applied... not a big deal.

I also wired up a 7-pin trailer socket because our horse trailer uses that plug. I also wired in the U-Haul 4-pin plug for convenience.

Scott

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to keep flogging this horse but I have some new? information after pulling the taillight for a looksee.

There is a spare empty comnnector on the right side that appears identical to the taillight plug. It's a round socket with seven or eight pins and two locating detents.

It appears I could hit up a breakes yard for the tail light connector and be in business. There's another single tubular connector hanging there as well that may prove useful as well? Further research required.

Now who just retired the derelict to the pasture....? :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts