RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 RR autobiography and was going to get a boat. Do these have trailer brake controllers built in or do i have to install one? I haul a small bike trailer now but it is just the lights and it works but I would need a brake controller for boat?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
I'm not an expert but I think it depends on what size boat you plan on trailering. If it's a smaller boat and the weight of everything is under 3000 pounds then trailer brakes aren't really required. If more than that you might consider getting a trailer with hydraulic surge brakes. I had a 27 foot keel boat that weighed over three tons and the trailer had hydraulic surge brakes.
with electric brakes and a brake controller you have a little more control over when the brakes are applied which can make it safer if the load starts swaying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody know if i got the standard brake controller that mounts under dash, is there a plug in for it? Or has to be custom wired? Was looking at the Bluetooth one that plugs into the 7 pin connector but i like being able to reach down and use trailer to slow me down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well got it all setup and trailer lights work but no brakes. I am getting power to the connector, not Sure yet how many volts tho. Controller says n.c when you turn lever.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
I recommend the Tekonsha wireless brake contriller. I pull 6000 lb gross Airstream and it works great; saves doing a dash rettofit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did some multi meter work today. I get power to the 3 and 9 oclock pins when i use turn signals and brakes, I also get power there when i put manual lever on tekonsha but there is no power at the 5 oclock pin which I read is the trailer brake pin but wierd cause my 7 in to 4 pin adapter doesnt even have a pin there. I looked and all the fuses seem to be in in passenger side fuse pan2elo and rear fuse panel. Don't know where to look now.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
245 Posts
Like colobound, I too use a Tekonsha wireless brake controller. No need to mess with under-hood or under-dash wiring. You might check the thread "2003 RR HSE Towing Experiences."

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
111 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts