RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking about trading in my 2005 for a newer year. i bought my truck with 121,000 miles now at 161,000. i put a lot of cash into this year range to keep it on the road. Now I'm still dealing the transmission problems and other things. I'm tring to decide if an upgrade would be a better investment considering my current mileage and the work that needs to be repaired. I can spare doing a lot of repairs as a diy mechanic with descent results but I'm wondering would i have less problems with a newer year than 2005. Also I'm still making payments on this machine as well and owe just about what its worth or more. What do you guys think? Repair or trade?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,148 Posts
At this point I think you are going to be stuck with it. You would probably not be able to get much more than 2K on a trade, and maybe just a bit more than double that on a private sale with those miles. My 06 has a few more miles and is basically in perfect running condition (knock on wood) and I doubt I could sell it for more than about 8K and I know the dealer would just steal it from me.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
23 Posts
The pitfalls of used landrover ownership think of it this way once every thing is fixed it will still be cheaper than buying another and than fixing that all up again!
now you know exactly what you got buying another most likely will have you stuck in the same spot and a whole lot poorer
Just my 2c

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
If you owe more than its worth, does that not mean you're stuck with it regardless?
Kinda answered your own question there I'd say

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pitfalls of used landrover ownership think of it this way once every thing is fixed it will still be cheaper than buying another and than fixing that all up again!
now you know exactly what you got buying another most likely will have you stuck in the same spot and a whole lot poorer
Just my 2c
Yes I thought about that too but maybe on newer one with less miles and less problems. I wouldn't have to do most of the same mechanical problems. That's considering finding one that was taking care. Besides I look good in a range lol. What else would I rather buy? Then another cool looking foreign ride that cost in the repair and maintenance anyway. But that was a good point of thought!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would get a newer one unless i could find a low mileage 2005 that was in great condition, thats what i did,
though I didnt owe money on any of the 05s I had

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would get a newer one unless i could find a low mileage 2005 that was in great condition, thats what i did,
though I didnt owe money on any of the 05s I had
05 kinda left me stuck without some of the other options I want like rear camera aux input and even the tv option I did almost the whole slew of fixes on my current one. But now I'm stuck at the transmission replace repair or get newer truck dilemma.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
being that the trans issues could be a huge pitfall,
best to cut your losses and look for a newer truck 07 08 09 would be my target

1 - 9 of 9 Posts