RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I took my LSE out in the snow last night, first time I've done so and the Traction Controle was doing strange things to it. Pulled off with light throtle and the back end steped out to the left. The only way to strighten up was to stop the car and start off again. It did it a couple of times and alway steping out to the left. I fitted new pads, discs and calipers to it about 4 monthes ago, no faults showing on the dash. I don't know if it was like this in the past as this is the first time I've had the TC cut in. Is there a PC based diagnostics for it or can it be done by blink codes, like the ABS?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
tc was very primitive in early abs vehicles, it was fitted to the rear axle only and its application during use was not very detailed, however, it deactivates at 50mph or if the brakes are applied during use.
abs however continued active on all 4 corners.

with that in mind, it was probably working as designed where the rear axle attempted to gain traction and due to possible road crown the vehicle decided to follow gravity and slide.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
Another thing to remember is that the wheel sensors vibrate loose and need to be tapped back solid. After this many years the reluctor ring that the sensors read becomes clogged with road grime often high in metallics. This throws off the magnetic signals that run the ABS/traction control systems. Check your sensors for a tight seating in their housings... do not remove them as they are held in with a spiked bushing. A small block of wood on the sensor and tap back into place. Brake cleaner will do wonders for a filthy / clogged reluctor ring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The ring and sensor are nice and clean, I did that when I put new discs on. Thing is it's not safe to drive as it is in snow, is there any way of disableing it?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks guys. The ring and sensor are nice and clean, I did that when I put new discs on. Thing is it's not safe to drive as it is in snow, is there any way of disableing it?
manually remove the abs fuse, it disables abs and tc function as the ecu is shut down but the booster pump and regular brakes remain operable. I believe it is located under the drivers seat in early rangies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi All, I took my LSE out in the snow last night, first time I've done so and the Traction Controle was doing strange things to it. Pulled off with light throtle and the back end steped out to the left. Is there a PC based diagnostics for it or can it be done by blink codes, like the ABS?
Hi Jonny, I've got the Faultmate diagnostics system for Classics. Depending where you are in Wales, if you a fancy a trip to Gloucestershire, I can read what's going on with the system in live time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer, I'll bear that in mind, Where abouts in Gloucestershire are you? I'm about 30 miles west of Cardiff.

Talking of taking the fuse out though, I couls put a switch in the system just to knock it off in icy conditions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in Gloucester city so a fair distance from you. Ref taking the fuse out, it definitely shouldn't behave like that. The few times that my traction control has activated the vehicle's continued to drive straight as you would expect. I take it you could hear the TC clicking away doing it's thing and the warning light came on??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might have found the problem. The ABS light has come on and stayed on, did the blink test and the brake light swich has failed. Just have to wait for the snow to see if I'm right.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If the brake light switch has died, your brake lights will now function. Better fix that before the bobbies take you to court and the queen yells "Off with his head!" Bloody hell, what am I on about? LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 2 stage switch, the brake lights are still working but the ABS side of it isn't. Haven't had chance to replace it yet, to many other things going wrong!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts