RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there new to the forum but i have been reading for soem time now.

I have a DSE and it has no traction control. I can pickup a traction control module fairly cheaply but i wonder if any one had add this to the range rover.

I suspect it will need switching on in the main ecu but should i have the wiring and where abouts is it located.

G

·
0 Posts
Im pretty sure it requires a different ABS modulator as well. The topic has been discussed before and the consensus always ends up that its not worth the cost.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Also I think you will find that you do have traction control if only on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive had it offroad and it didnt appear to have it and no TC light which i would expect some where on the dash.

happy new year

·
Registered
483 Posts
The TC light is next to the ABS light - you should see it when you turn the ignition on and it self tests.

Even off road the car is so immense you rarely see the TC cut in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Going back to the gist of the orignal question, is it feasible [or even possible] to upgrade from a non TC set up to a TC enabled one by fitting used parts??

I am looking for a used modulator to fit the stainless washers and keep as a spare. My DSE does not have TC [or if it does in aint workin!] so if I get a TC ECU as well as a modulator will it work :?

Also would the ABS ecu be changed to a TC ecu, or is the TC ecu added to the system :oops:

Is there any difference between non TC and TC modulators on 1996 year DSE? if so how do you tell from looking at it?? I see that post 1999 models are different and/or have 4 wheel TC, but I am simply looking at the earlier rear wheel system.

Gordon

·
Registered
640 Posts
Check the Part Number Stamped on the Booster Unit I.D Plate

STC 2779 No Traction Control
STC 2778 Two Wheel Traction control
SXC 100010 Four Wheel Traction Control

Cheers

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The answer to the question is "YES".

My car was succesfully upgraded from non TC to TC with the change of the modulator and ECU by the previous owner.
As standard 4.0 and DSE verhicles are delivered without any TC. Up to 99 there is only TC (If fitted) on two wheels.

If a non TC verhicle is fitted with an ECU that has the TC function alarms are triggered and remain on.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent, So just to clarify.

I need a modulator PtNo STC 2778 [my present one is the non TC 2779 unit] - but I am after a spare anyway.
I need a TC ecu - but is that ecu unit to replace the [presumably] exsisting ABS ecu, or, as an add in to the brake control circuit??
And then, Probably a visit to the 'stealers' to get everything talking to everything else - mainly my credit card to their bank!

Ref the airlocker diff - anyone done that onthe RR? I looked at a Jeep XJ that had them once, will the airlockers work from the RR EAS compressor. Personally i am not that committed off road presently to warrant the time effort and money, but curious none the less, who knows what the future holds!.

Thanks
Gordon

G

·
0 Posts
Air lockers can be activated using the EAS, you would just need a regulator as I believe they are something like 70psi max. Another option would be detroit truetracs, which are limited slip diffs. They are fairly cheap compared to the ARB air locker at about $450 per axle. If you go to the Tech Articles section on this site http://www.rockrover.com/ there's some good info on the Truetracs. Keep in mind that if you went with a locker you would probably need to upgrade to heavy duty axle shafts, whereas the stock ones should be fine with the truetracs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yawn! here we go again! can anyone give me the part number for a '96 two wheel TC ECU, as I just gotta get TC on my RR!, [I have a spare TC equipped modulator]

Having experienced some 4wTC off road recently, I am smitten, Is it too much to hope for that the parts off a late model P38 with all wheel TC can be tire levered into my 96 DSE and made to work, I see that the plug on the ECU is different - but it could be rewired ???????????????????????????????

Gordon

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi Gordon

The traction control ecu has part number ANR4898. This can be inserted in the same connector as the ANR1250 which is the ECU without traction control. After connecting up you should not get any alarms unless there is an old alarm logged in the replacement ECU.
You could try to fit the newer 4 channel brake booster unit and ecu, but you have to study on how to wire it up. You might get problems with the data bus used on newer verhicles to comunicate between the ecu's. This data bus is not present on the older verhicles.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Jos. Interestingly my ECU is the ANR4898, so I wonder if my truck had TC at one time before the non TC modulator was fitted?? I dont get any fault codes or odd TC lights???

Gordon

·
Registered
973 Posts
nj673 said:
Going back to the gist of the orignal question, is it feasible [or even possible] to upgrade from a non TC set up to a TC enabled one by fitting used parts??

I am looking for a used modulator to fit the stainless washers and keep as a spare. My DSE does not have TC [or if it does in aint workin!] so if I get a TC ECU as well as a modulator will it work :?

Also would the ABS ecu be changed to a TC ecu, or is the TC ecu added to the system :oops:

Is there any difference between non TC and TC modulators on 1996 year DSE? if so how do you tell from looking at it?? I see that post 1999 models are different and/or have 4 wheel TC, but I am simply looking at the earlier rear wheel system.

Gordon
Hi, :idea:
I just went thro the topic & would like to know whether u were able to get TC into yr rangie by just changing the 'brake modulator' and the ABS ECU to a TC ECU?
Did u change the instrument panel too ?( the TC light)
:?
regds

kapila

·
Registered
56 Posts
Havent done the swap yet, been too busy sorting out fuel system, electric fuel pump and injector pump problems. My dash has working TC light - it came on once whilst I was messing with something unrelated inside the dash, so in my case i dont expect problems in that area [thats 'dont expect', not, 'wont have'!] I think my truck must have had TC originaly as it does have the TC ABS ECU already fitted.

Once I get the fuel system working i will do the mirrors, then the TC, and I wil let you know what happened.

Gordon

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks Gordon, I'm eagerly waiting.

regds
:)
kapila

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks Gordon, I'm eagerly waiting.

regds
:)
kapila

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,
Well I manage to pick up an ABS modulator to replace mine, and I'm thinking, it´s a ANR 2239, my RR has an ANR2238 (model without TC) so, if I replace the modulator to gain TC on the rear axle what ECU should be on the system? The ANR 1250 or the ANR 4898? I'm searching on the web and ebay and I'm confused with the mixed information, here I read that is the ANR4898 and then on Ebay I read constantly that is the ANR 1250...

Thanks,

·
Registered
217 Posts
1 more information... I've been checking and my DSE (MY98) have the ANR4898 unit on it, I think this came originally on the rig but they come with the non TC modulator...
What do you think?

Regards,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts