RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks...I have what will probably seem like a stupid question to long time RRS owners, but this is my first (previously only owned Ford Expeditions........)

For the traction control knob....when I switch it to Snow/Grass/Gravel, it seems as though I have to REALLY push down on the gas to get moving...is this normal? Also, is there a speed restriction that you can drive at with it in this mode(so similar to like 4x4 "low" where you really can't be doing 50mph)

The traction control seems to work really well (I was just out in the snow....and I have summer directionals on my RRS), I was just concerned that you shouldn't go above a certain speed, or the response of having to push down harder on the gas was necessary.

Thanks in advance!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yes, that's normal. First and foremost, Grass/Gravel/Snow mode is going to try and avoid any wheel spin when you start moving, so it will feel sluggish and unresponsive on other terrains, no matter how hard you push down on the gas pedal. If you want to feel the opposite effect and experience lightning fast response, throw it in Sand mode and you'll burn rubber ;-) (not really, but you will see a dramatic difference between the two modes.)

As long as you are not in Low range, you can drive at any speed in the various Terrain Response modes, it's hard to screw things up as Land Rover designed the system for dummies. There are some limitations, however. For instance, Rock Crawl will not even engage unless you are in low range first. Some modes will raise your suspensions to off-road height (which will drop if you speed above 30 mph) and engage HDC by default, so watch it when you slow down. IIRC, none of the special modes allow you to engage 6th gear or cruise control. So, it would be best to use the special programs only when you really need them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
umbertob....thanks a lot.....you are always a plethora of information! I just wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong since it did not "feel normal".

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just a minor point on terminology. There is no Traction Control knob and traction control cannot be turned on and off.

The knob that you were referring to is Terrain Response (TR) and as you appreciate is used to select things such as mud ruts, rock crawl etc.

When one of the positions in TR is selected it changes a number of parameters such as engine power, throttle response, gearbox settings and how aggressive TC can be.

When you have selected Gravel/Snow/Grass power and throttle response is reduced so there is less chance spinning wheels. The sand position is the opposite throttle and TC is tightened up and if you were a boy racer it can get you away from lights quicker than normal.

Note the Snow in Gravel/Snow/Grass setting is not for driving in deep snow it is for use onroad where it has snowed, been cleared and there is ice and some snow remaining (basically a slippy slidy road surface). If you are driving in deep snow you would use something like Mud Ruts or Rock Crawl which bring in the full offroad capabilities of the vehicle.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just a minor point on terminology. There is no Traction Control knob and traction control cannot be turned on and off.

The knob that you were referring to is Terrain Response (TR) and as you appreciate is used to select things such as mud ruts, rock crawl etc.

When one of the positions in TR is selected it changes a number of parameters such as engine power, throttle response, gearbox settings and how aggressive TC can be.

When you have selected Gravel/Snow/Grass power and throttle response is reduced so there is less chance spinning wheels. The sand position is the opposite throttle and TC is tightened up and if you were a boy racer it can get you away from lights quicker than normal.

Note the Snow in Gravel/Snow/Grass setting is not for driving in deep snow it is for use onroad where it has snowed, been cleared and there is ice and some snow remaining (basically a slippy slidy road surface). If you are driving in deep snow you would use something like Mud Ruts or Rock Crawl which bring in the full offroad capabilities of the vehicle.

Cheers

Garry
"Thanks"

(Since there's no thanks button)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh - forgot to mention - when offroad and going slow and using different TR settings you should really turn DSC off as it will cut power if it detects a little sideways movement. Can be a real hindrance - also be aware it comes back on automatically when you change TR settings and switch on and off.

Turning off needs to be a safety consideration if driving faster on slippery surfaces as it would not work if it is off. If driving on icey roads I would definitely leave on.

Garry

Garry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow... I'm so glad I dug up this thread while trying to learn more about the specific TR settings. I was definitely hopping around last weekend and had some lateral sliding trying to climb a cambered rock face, now I'm wondering if I was losing power due to traction or it was due to this (which I definitely wasn't aware of, afaict my DSC doesn't have any indicator it is on (do others?) - I have a SC sport so it is DSC fyi). It is a rutted 'smooth rock face' (sand in the ruts) climb that had my back wheels slipping in sand ruts, and front driver in the air. I'm debating what tactics to take for better traction next time I go back. Was aired down to 23/25 and had low range with rock climb TR set. I was inches from passing the apex on an approach going straight up it but started bouncing and then slid down sideways the cambered edge. I was at that point cambered at least 40 degrees but it might've been more, holy moly the range felt like it was sitting on its side. I will be sure to turn off DSC next time I approach. :) and might try mud ruts or grass / gravel / snow. The rock crawl mode felt like it was trying to spin the wheels up aggressively but was just burning rubber for me. Maybe I am just reaching the limits of the vehicle's traction? this face is around or over 50% grade.

·
Registered
568 Posts
now I'm wondering if I was losing power due to traction or it was due to this (which I definitely wasn't aware of, afaict my DSC doesn't have any indicator it is on (do others?) - I have a SC sport so it is DSC fyi).
In the circumstance you mentioned I think Rock Crawl would have been the correct TR selection - do not gun the engine slow/moderate and steady is best. Definitely switch DSC off as I can assure that is what was restricting your passage. Note that, even if turned off as a safety feature DSC will still kick in with extreme power and sliding - so take it easy and it will stay off.

Now there are dash indications with DSC. The default position for DSC is "on" and there are no indications on the dash that it is on. In this position and you skid on the road, you will feel and hear the DSC try to correct and the orange TC light will come on the dash.

Leave DSC on (no displays) when onroad but when heading offroad, turn it off at the DSC switch in the centre section of the dash above the radio. On the dash you will see the orange triangle display come on showing DSC is off and the Command display will read DSC switched off.

So when DSC is on there is no display indication, turn it off and there is the orange triangle on the instrument panel and the command display tells you it is off. When offroad if the orange triangle goes out it means the DSC has switched itself back on eg switched the car off and back on, extreme use of throttle, extreme slide or (and not sure of this) - I think a change of TR setting might turn it on. So check it regularly and look for the orange triangle to tell you it is off.

Garry

·
Registered
58 Posts
The other question would be, would you leave on HDC in that circumstance? After several attempts I turned it on as it kept me from sliding back down when easing off gas or pausing, seems advantageous - is there a downside? (aside from the extra noise)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I personally do not use Hill Decent but it is personal preference. In low range and command shift (lower gears) the torque converter locks up so I find that there is enough engine braking to go slow without the crashing and shuddering that Hill Decent cuases.

However when offroad you can leave HDC on as you can drive through it so if your speed is higher than the HDC speed you just drive as normal and when you slow to the HDC speed it will kick in to auto slow you. Maybe quicker than you want. Not sure on this aspect but I believe HDC is on is overridden when you are on the gas.

Give it a try when off road and see how it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts