RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 LWB that I just put some new tires on and took to check out some fields. After going through the mud for a bit, the traction control kicked in and I got stuck. I backed up and went again and got stuck again. It was pretty surprising since it wasnt excessive mud (tires were maybe four or five inches into the ground). I was driving slow and not having any issues, but every time the traction control kicked in I got stuck. I looked out the drivers window and saw two tires spinning, and a friend looked out the passenger and saw the front spinning and the rear locked up. The truck was moving forward but the right rear was not turning, just pushing mud until it stopped me.

A few details about the truck. Per the previous owner, the entire rear assembly was replaced sometime in the past. Last year the spider gears broke up and I replaced them, assuming it would be a 24 spline, but instead found it was a 10 spline rear. EAS is removed.

I have searched the forums, since usually I can find issues already answered, but didnt seem to find anything about this. I dont want to pull the fuses or put a relay in unless I have to. I cant imagine that this is the way it is supposed to work, but maybe I am wrong and need a driving class. I have been careful about what I drove through before since I had road tires on it, but with more aggressive tread I thought I could start leaving the 4 wheeler at home. The new tires are close to factory size.

Please let me know if I have forgotten any information that may be useful in helping with my problem.

Ryan

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
First thought would be dirt in the reluctor ring but that should, in theory, bring the ABS warning lamp on at start up. It sdounds as though the traction control is doing what it should but a little too well. It only works on the rear wheels and it uses the ABS sensors to measure the speed of each wheel. If one starts spinning faster than the other, it applies the brake to the one that is going fastest to slow it to the same speed as the other. For some reason, yours is stopping it completely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts