RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this issue a few months ago when I thought I had an issue with my BECM. Long story short, RR just suddenly died and in my past experience with the way it died and the symptoms, it seemed to be the BECM. That last time Scotty at becm doctor fixed it. So this time I sent it to him again. Turned out this time there was no issue with the BECM. We think it might have been a bad battery, as when I got the becm back, battery, which was fairly new, was dead. Got that replaced (it was bad), and BECM back in and all was good, sort of. Truck started and ran fine, but was getting a lot of weird faults, including the traction control and ABS faults....so that's what the previous thread essentially was about. The fix was simple in that I just need to tighten down all of the wire nuts in the BECM (for some stupid reason I didn't tighten them all that much). When I did this all the weird faults went away, except traction control and ABS.

Now, and for the past several months, these faults come on without fail. And I am not having any issues with the ABS or traction control as far as I can tell. Since everything seems to be running and working fine, I really haven't done anything about it. And, again, only started after I reinstalled my BECM, which had no issues with it in the first place. No other electrical issues as far as I see; starts fine too.

Any thoughts on why these two faults come on immediately and everytime?

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
have you scanned the abs system for the possibility of codes? what is the system doing to suspect codes?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great question. Would I do that in the same way as if I am trying to see why there would be a check engine light on? Is that the way I would scan the ABS system?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You say they come on immediately. They are supposed to light when truck is started but extinguish when you start moving. You are also supposed to see the "Brake" light on start up. Is the bulb out? Try setting the park brake to confirm that one.
Are the lights on constantly? or do they come and go......Like when you brake?
If they seem related to braking, it could be your accumulator is failing, and it is just a coincidence it is happening now?
Oh, and thanks for mentioning about your "New, but Bad" battery......So many people take it on faith that a new one will always be a good one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say they come on immediately. They are supposed to light when truck is started but extinguish when you start moving. You are also supposed to see the "Brake" light on start up. Is the bulb out? Try setting the park brake to confirm that one.
Are the lights on constantly? or do they come and go......Like when you brake?
If they seem related to braking, it could be your accumulator is failing, and it is just a coincidence it is happening now?
Oh, and thanks for mentioning about your "New, but Bad" battery......So many people take it on faith that a new one will always be a good one.
Yes, comes on and stays on...both the ABS and TC lights, and I get a beep and warning in info center on both upon start up and initial driving....everytime, without fail. I know what you mean about the ABS light coming on, then going off once you start driving. In this case it doesn't go off. And as far as I can tell I'm not having any actual issues with the ABS or traction control. And they only started doing this after I reconnected my BECM.

And emergency brake light on cluster works.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I would suggesting going through the electrical sticky and reporting your results. Voltage somewhere could be a little be lower than expected. If anything, it will help rule a few things out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would suggesting going through the electrical sticky and reporting your results. Voltage somewhere could be a little be lower than expected. If anything, it will help rule a few things out.
Yeah, funny enough I have that sticky printed out and sitting in my door pocket for the next time I go to my mechanic and have him run through everything. I had hoped I had it fixed when I tightened up the 4 wire connections to the BECM, which fixed all of the issues but the two mentioned here. I also thought if I started having other electrical issues, like a charging issue, it would prompt me to run through that sticky sooner rather than later, but haven't had any other issues. I have just been procrastinating on getting it looked at. But thanks....will revisit that, probably a good idea.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
That's a great question. Would I do that in the same way as if I am trying to see why there would be a check engine light on? Is that the way I would scan the ABS system?
yes, you would connect a scanner with abs reading capabilities to the same obd2 plug and inquire codes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the issue with the TC and traction control lights on mine as well. First I tested it with my Nanocom and got no faults. Then I ended up running the electrical sticky, and ended up needing to replace my positive and earth cables. After this was done, the lights still came on. Turned out I just needed to give all my ABS sensors a light tap with a rubber mallet to ensure they were all seated. That was about 6 months ago, and no lights since.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a friend who had the same lights on and he replaced the brake accumulator. It solved his problem. It is about 150.00
I replaced mine when I noticed at startup my truck moved a little with my foot on the brake. I did not have any lights yet but I noticed the extra movement. No braking problems at all. After replacing my brakes work great. Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts