RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Rangie in the workshop with a strange fault. The customer reported that whilst in low range and travelling very slowly (5 kph) on sand the brakes would occasionally lock solid and bring the car to a stop and then operate normally. The car is modified with large Cooper tyres, Gen III air bags and steel bumpers and the guy is a serious off roader but is fed up with removing the fuse everytime he does the sand dunes. I found the viscous coupling to be nearly solid and a faulty left hand front brake caliper which I sorted hoping this was a contributing factor but the issue remains. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Assuming you've pulled all wheel sensors and checked, also testing is important.

Might be worth your while swopping out ABS ECU and see what it does.

I hope the engine exhaust manifold have the shields intake, replaced two modulators this year alone because of them missing, may or may not be related but it sure cooks the unit..

·
Registered
553 Posts
There is a mod I have seen somewere on the site, so a switch can be mounted to manually turn the abs on and off basically doing the same as removing the fuse, why not offer him thet option?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
JeremyD said:
There is a mod I have seen somewere on the site, so a switch can be mounted to manually turn the abs on and off basically doing the same as removing the fuse, why not offer him thet option?

this ftw.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No faults show up on Rovacom but it may be worthwhile swapping ECU's. I plan to fit an inhibit switch in the un-used position on the centre facia which I guess will be the best option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi there Ghur,

My Range is from 1997 and i am experiencing the same behaviour as you describe, sometimes, normally on loose terrain, i isolated to sometimes when some of the wheels loose contact with the ground, the brakes lock solid, i get the lights on ABS and TC on and then off, and then all back to normal.......

Do you manage to find what the issue was?

Best Regards,

Nuno Pinto

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not heard back from my customer with the fault but I presume it is still the same. I will let you know if we manage to resolve it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Ghur,

From time to time i still have this issue......offroad and onroad. The other day i was driving in the road, at about 40\50km\h.....and suddenly, i don't remember if i touched the brakes or not, but the truck stopped solid as if i had made a heavy braking and have no abs....the brake and Tc lights light up and then turn off.....and i drive normally.....

Did you happen to know more about this issue???

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I worked around my snag by fitting a switch to disable the ABS. Very easy to do which removes the power to the fuse. I cannot remember which fuse - either 24 or 27. If I remember correctly 24 affected ABS and EAS and 27 ABS only but I may be wrong.

If it is happening to you at 40 kph there has got to be a serious problem which I would guess must be in the modulator. It may be full of gunk after years of insufficient maintenance and a thorough flush / bleed of the system may help but I would say its most likely time for a modulator replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts