RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a '06 L322 4.4 with 182k on the body. I've replaced the engine with one with 43k miles from an '07. To me, the engine runs great - it sounds good, is quiet, doesn't rattle or smoke. Acceleration is not neck-snapping, but I don't have anything to reference it to. I'm getting 13mpg in city and 18~ on the highway. I'm getting the P2096, P2098, and P0171 codes, which indicate a too lean condition. This is after doing the following:

1. New catalytic convertor, both sides
2. New Pre and Post cat O2 sensors, both sides
3. New fuel filter - not a new fuel pump though.

I did a smoke test, and other than some residual through the crankcase, there don't seem to be any vacuum leaks.

I've read that these codes could be due to a weak fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. I didn't think the L322 has a FPR, but I'm likely wrong.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I don't know how old the fuel pump is, but seems reasonable that 182k miles is enough to ask of it.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,079 Posts
The FPR is in the fuel filter module in the top right access hatch into the fuel tank (under the passenger side (in the US) rear seat. When you change the filter you change the FPR. Did you replace or even know if the PCV valve on the new engine has ever been changed? They can get weak and flow more air than they should, or the diaphragm inside can start leaking. I had the Lean code on my passenger side bank (bank 1) intermittantly for about 2 months, I replaced the PCV, all 8 ignition coils, cleaned the engine with BG44 fuel additive and nothing really seemed to do much. It finally went away on its own after that 2 month period and hasn't returned.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
527 Posts
Check the pcv hose on bank1 first. Clean maf sensor and throttle body. Clean the injectors on a bench and after that read the fuel trims.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good deal! I really appreciate the advice. I’m on it. Also, I replaced the MAF earlier. I did not, however, clean the throttle body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts