RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my birthday this morning like this??? :)

We're talking 2008 RR HSE with factory 19" wheels. Factory TPMS sensors as well.

I am a tire pressure-checking freak: twice a week. So, I was checking tire pressure this morning when POP goes the tip (1/4" - the part with the threads) of my valve stem. The hissing sound of air leaking ensued. No biggie right? Well, closer inspection of the other stems uncovered two cracked stems!!! Who knows how long these will last? So, I want to replace them ALL asap.

It appears that the threaded part is made of aluminum (judging my the corrosion color and weight). Is this common?

Where should I buy them?
Stick to OEM?
Expected cost?
Can I replace just the valve stem?
Any ways to make 'em last longer (I am religious about keeping the plastic valve cap screwed on)?

Any other advice?

I'd strongly advise you to look at yours!!! I was luck that this happened in my driveway.

Thanks.
Darrin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,766 Posts
Alrighty... stupid questions time. Why on earth would you check your monitored tyre pressure twice a week? I imagine all the uncalled for checking caused the cracks do to jarring and movement to the sensors twice a week. As for the tip breaking off there was a TSB or notice not to change the caps from factory. If you have used metal caps in place of the factory caps it can cause deterioration and breakage.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alrighty... stupid questions time. Why on earth would you check your monitored tyre pressure twice a week? I imagine all the uncalled for checking caused the cracks do to jarring and movement to the sensors twice a week.
Not stupid at all; however, as temperatures change (living in New England, it's not uncommon to have daily high temperatures vary 30 degrees F from one day to another. Also, I'll adjust tire pressure based on weather conditions. If snow and ice are called for, I'll knock pressure down from 38 psi to 30 psi in order to provide better traction. The TPMS system measures pressure changes as a percentage change (I believe, but might be mistaken) relative to the other tire's pressures. Regardless and therefore, you could have balanced pressures that would not precipitate a warning yet WOULD be inappropriate for road and temperature conditions. Overkill? Maybe! But better safe than sorry.

By the way, you bold the word "monitored." Monitored, as I've pointed out, means neither accurate, appropriate nor correct necessarily and independently.

So, as you mentioned, LR did issue a bulletin detailing the breaking valves. Since the bulletin does not say frequent, manual monitoring of tire pressures is a likely, or even remotely likely, cause of the problem, your response really didn't make a lot of sense.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,766 Posts
I pointed out the TSB as a possible cause for the tip breakage. Thus my notation "As for the tip..."

As far as the stem cracking, the repeated pressing and rocking of checking and playing with your tyre pressure every few days would certainly place undo stress on the stems. Such stress is bound to lead to damage at some point. Rather like taking a paper clip and bending back and fourth repeatedly. Eventually the paper clip becomes weak then breaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts