RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rotating my tires at the dealership last week, two days later the TPMS sensor went off and is still on.

FYI, i have nitrogen on my wheels which were stock when i bought my 09 RRS. The dealership in Pasadena said that they don't have nitrogen in their facility so that's why they didn't check the tire pressure.

My question is, i've read that the front and rear have different tire pressures, so by rotating the tires could this be the reason why the TPMS sensors went on? If so, how could i remedy this problem? I don't know of any place in Los Angeles that has nitrogen to fill my tires up. Any recommendations as to where to go?

Also, can you fill a nitrogen filled tires with regular air? And how about the claim at my dealership that they couldn't check the tire pressure because it was nitrogen filled? is that legit? can a regular tire gauge be used to measure it or do you need a special gauge?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Air is only 78.09% nitrogen, so its a big decision and only one you can answer yourself.

Though if you decide on air, I would avoid filling my tires with ambient air in the LA area as it contains quite a bit more ozone and harmful oxides of sulfur and nitrogen than most other cities. Perhaps a drive to a gas station on the other side of the San Bernardino's, beyond the yellow haze?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Your dealership rotated tires and didnt check the tire pressure, because it has nitogen in the tires? You need a new dealership. A regular guage can check the tires and its alright to add a little air to top of the pressure. At least you can on the East Coast.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is no problem adding air to tires that once contained nitrogen (and no real reason to have nitrogen in our tires anyway). :roll:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
On MY06-09s, front tire pressure should be 38 psi, rear should be 42 psi (cold pressure, of course. Make sure to take your reading with a good gauge in the morning, before driving off. By the time you get to the air filling station you should already know how many psi's of air to add on each wheel, if you find out one or more are under-inflated.) Nitrogen or air, it shouldn't matter to the TPMS module, or your pressure gauge. Not sure if the psi recommendation is the same for MY2010s, check the Owner Manual. Regardless, the service folks at Pasadena Land Rover sound retarded - or very lazy and making stupid excuses for neglecting to check and adjust tire pressure after rotation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
umbertob said:
On MY06-09s, front tire pressure should be 38 psi, rear should be 42 psi (cold pressure, of course. Make sure to take your reading with a good gauge in the morning, before driving off. By the time you get to the air filling station you should already know how many psi's of air to add on each wheel, if you find out one or more are under-inflated.) Nitrogen or air, it shouldn't matter to the TPMS module, or your pressure gauge. Not sure if the psi recommendation is the same for MY2010s, check the Owner Manual. Regardless, the service folks at Pasadena Land Rover sound retarded - or very lazy and making stupid excuses for neglecting to check and adjust tire pressure after rotation.
Thanks. I will check my tire pressure first thing in the morning. Do you agree then that i can add regular air to a nitrogen filled tires?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
carter said:
Thanks. I will check my tire pressure first thing in the morning. Do you agree then that i can add regular air to a nitrogen filled tires?
LA air?

Seriously, I would drive up to Big Bear or someplace..or maybe go tilapia fishing in the Salton and do the fill out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input guys. I did check my tire pressure this morning and sure enough it was under inflated. Went to Google and looked for nitrogen filling stations and found out that Costco indeed has them and so does a couple of tire places in my area.

I called Allen Tire in Arcadia and the service guy said it was FREE to get top offs (even though i didn't buy my tires from them). Thanks to Jose the service guy. Very knowledgeable and did the filling right away. Called another place and they have pumps that don't do top offs so they have to deflate all tires and refill it for $80.

At first i didn't think it was the tire pressure cause i read somewhere here that there were problems with the TPMS so i automatically assumed that it malfunctioned. I guess mine is working.... `)

·
Registered
61 Posts
So your dealer said they cant check your tire pressure because they dont have nitrogen to top it off and a tire dealer told you they cant top off the pressure with nitrogen so have to deflate tires and then refill, and charge $80.00?
Is there an unusual law in California having to do with nitrogen in tires?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DrewT55 said:
So your dealer said they cant check your tire pressure because they dont have nitrogen to top it off and a tire dealer told you they cant top off the pressure with nitrogen so have to deflate tires and then refill, and charge $80.00?
Is there an unusual law in California having to do with nitrogen in tires?
I don't know if there is any law about it, but being new to nitrogen, i did some research last night and it seems that they are encouraging drivers to use it. The only negative comments that they have is the additional costs to the consumer.

The other tire dealer said that their nitrogen pump isn't program to top off. He said that it fills all five tires at the same time (including spare) and they charge $80. That's why when Allen Tires said that it was free, i drove there right away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ask because all of the larger tire dealer here have their tanks filled with Nitrogen. Its my understanding that it is not that expensive and really not a big deal. The tanks just have the regular, old fashion air hoses that you just pump direclty into the tire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DrewT55 said:
I ask because all of the larger tire dealer here have their tanks filled with Nitrogen. Its my understanding that it is not that expensive and really not a big deal. The tanks just have the regular, old fashion air hoses that you just pump direclty into the tire.
I went to Costco yesterday and asked them if they did top offs. The service guy told me that they don't. They have to deflate the tires first to make sure that all the air that's filled in the tires are 100 percent nitrogen, even if your tires already have nitrogen in them, they still have to deflate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts