Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had new tires mounted on my spare set of Rover wheels and I had them install brand new TPMS. I haven't mounted them to my Sport yet, but the local tire shop that did the work gave me all the code numbers for each sensor and says that the sensors need to be programmed to the vehicle. Is this true? Or once I mount the wheels and drive for a bit, will the new sensors be recognized?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
As long as they are compatible sensors, the system will learn them.

Toss the wheels on, lock the truck, and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then go drive it for about 20, and you should be good.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Toss the wheels on, lock the truck, and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then go drive it for about 20, and you should be good.
Thanks! Once I get them mounted, I'll follow that procedure. They're OEM from Rover, so it sounds like I shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For some reason I always have issues when I change between summer and winter wheels. They both have Land Rover sensors but after the change the 'check spare tire pressure' message is triggered. The dealer is not sure why, they just re-set the system when I'm in, that clears the message. The message is only displayed for about 10 seconds at start up so it does not bother me 'that' much.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
after the change the 'check spare tire pressure' message is triggered.
Do you have a full size spare, with a sensor?

With a sensor in the spare, and the system configured for it, the system will know 5 sensors at a time. The 4 road wheels are pinged for their sensor codes and pressures while driving, which is why they do not need to be programmed. The spare is not pinged. If you were to get a flat tire, and install the spare, after driving a short distance, the system learns that the spare has been moved to a road wheel, and assumes that the road wheel is now the spare. Just somewhat shuffling the wheel positions in its memory.

When 4 wheels are moved(spare either staying the same, or changing to one of the ones removed) the system has now just shuffled 4 new sensors into its memory, and will lose what it knew as the spare since it learns one at a time, each sensor that was replaced with a new being set as the spare until the next is learned.

If you change three wheels over to winter/summer, and place the spare on the road and drive long enough for it to learn the codes, when you take the spare off of the road and place the 4th winter/summer on, it will send the last removed wheel as the spare, which in this case would be correct.

If you are using one of the winter/summer tires as your spare when the other set is correct, and swap all 4 at the same time, there is a 25% chance that the system will learn the new sensors, and the last one to learn will have been the position that the spare came from, which would not give you this message... good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you have a full size spare, with a sensor?

With a sensor in the spare, and the system configured for it, the system will know 5 sensors at a time. The 4 road wheels are pinged for their sensor codes and pressures while driving, which is why they do not need to be programmed. The spare is not pinged. If you were to get a flat tire, and install the spare, after driving a short distance, the system learns that the spare has been moved to a road wheel, and assumes that the road wheel is now the spare. Just somewhat shuffling the wheel positions in its memory.

When 4 wheels are moved(spare either staying the same, or changing to one of the ones removed) the system has now just shuffled 4 new sensors into its memory, and will lose what it knew as the spare since it learns one at a time, each sensor that was replaced with a new being set as the spare until the next is learned.

If you change three wheels over to winter/summer, and place the spare on the road and drive long enough for it to learn the codes, when you take the spare off of the road and place the 4th winter/summer on, it will send the last removed wheel as the spare, which in this case would be correct.

If you are using one of the winter/summer tires as your spare when the other set is correct, and swap all 4 at the same time, there is a 25% chance that the system will learn the new sensors, and the last one to learn will have been the position that the spare came from, which would not give you this message... good luck.
Thanks for the info RoverGuy. I do have a full size spare, it's the one that came with the vehicle from LR. Now, the question is, does the spare have a sensor? I had one service adviser tell me Canadian vehicles did not come with a sensor in the spare however I take that with a grain a salt as he has been 'misinformed' in the past. Further, if the car does not have a sensor in the spare why would it trigger the warning (unless the car for some reason forgets what region it is in after the swap)..

The spare is never moved from the spare position, I have two sets of LR rims, one set with summer tires, the other with winters. It's a 4 for 4 swap each winter and spring.

So if I understand you correctly would the following process work?
  1. Swap out the wheels and drive on them for a bit for the car to learn the new sensors
  2. Remove one of the wheels and drive on the spare to allow the car to re-learn the spare sensor
  3. Remove the spare and re-install the regular wheel

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
That will work if the spare has a sensor in it. If it does not, then there is a chance that the system is assuming that there is one installed when it changes all four sensors.

The system is the same for with/without spare monitor, it just knows the spare as a null sensor code. This code should not be overwritten, but it is possible.

I don't know what they're charging you to reset it, but if there is not a sensor installed in the spare, you could add one(sensors aren't too pricey) and then swap the spare as a road wheel when switching out the wheels, as I described(yes, you understood) which would learn all the sensors correctly.

You can visually check(or feel) if the spare has a sensor. The sensors are metal stem valves, just like the other wheels, if it doesn't have one, it will be a black rubber valve stem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That will work if the spare has a sensor in it. If it does not, then there is a chance that the system is assuming that there is one installed when it changes all four sensors.

The system is the same for with/without spare monitor, it just knows the spare as a null sensor code. This code should not be overwritten, but it is possible.

I don't know what they're charging you to reset it, but if there is not a sensor installed in the spare, you could add one(sensors aren't too pricey) and then swap the spare as a road wheel when switching out the wheels, as I described(yes, you understood) which would learn all the sensors correctly.

You can visually check(or feel) if the spare has a sensor. The sensors are metal stem valves, just like the other wheels, if it doesn't have one, it will be a black rubber valve stem.
Thanks - I'll take a look at the stem on the spare when it's not -20C outside.. Sigh.

The dealer has committed to reset it at no cost going forward as they've not been able to stop occurrences.. It's just a pain to take it in for something that's not overly material.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Success! Mounted all 4 of my off road wheels and tires last night, locked the Rover for awhile and when I came out to take it for a test drive, there was no TPMS warning on the dash.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover HSE
10 Posts

RoverGuy7

I have a question with respect to TPMS. I have 2008 which had 19" wheels at one time. I bought the car with 20" LR wheels. I replaced the TPMS because they were 422 MHZ and the car system requires 313MHZ. Drove it for a bit and seemed ok.. no light or spare warning. Then the light comes on now and then higher speeds less. I did notice the spo reading higher then normal speed when the speed warning comes on at 65 mph. ? does the car need to be reprogrammed for 20" wheels?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.