RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 RRSS, and am considering new tires. I therefore am also thinking about whether I need to replace my TPMS sensors because the batteries in the sensors are getting toward the end of their useful life. I understand that the batteries are encased in a potting material that makes replacement difficult (you need to heat the potting, remove the potting around the battery, replace the battery and then reapply the potting material).

I read that the average battery life is seven years, but that they can last as long as 12, particularly in colder climates. On the other hand, I have also read the recommendation to keep the original sensors because sometimes vehicles have trouble recognizing replacement sensors.

Do folks recommend a "run them until they die" approach, or a preventative replacement approach?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm -- No interest in this topic.

Just in case anyone else raises this same question, I am going with the run until they die approach primarily because in another thread on high mileage Rovers the owners who posted did not mention ever changing their sensors.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
There's no interest as its not something that will in any way affect any system to warrant maintenance to prevent it. It's not going to leave you stranded or cause a tow to a mechanic. A little light will pop on the dash and annoy you which is hardly worth the money to prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
360 Posts
I have at least one sensor out on my 2008 mercedes - I didn't replace yet , but probably will next time I chnage tires - I guess it depends how annoyed younget having to reset the light on the dash ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts