RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this but didn't really see anything. May be a stupid question but is the only way to test out whether you even have tpms is to deflate the tires?

Trying to figure out whether my winter tires set really need to put tpms sensors in. thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
First off, if you are in North America and you own a 2007 (or later) RRS, you have TPMS. If you have a 2006, check the valve stem on one of the wheels. If it is made of rubber, you don't have TPMS. If it is metal, you do as the aluminum stem is part of the sensor inside the wheel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quick Trick. If the light is on add 4 pounds to each tire to get it to go off. Wish it told you which tire was low but it doesn't. Then you have to drive around for awhile with to get the light to go off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everybody. a few more questions...

so if I put a new set a rims and tires on it and the light simply stays on until I restore the original set? Or will the computer forget? If I put tpms on the new winter set, would the computer reconize all 8? i'm inferring that based on previous post....it would reconize new set after a few minutes?

I saw this set on ebay that lists it at 315mhz....are all RRS at the same frequency? Or can I get generics? Do they usually cost this much? Sorry...don't know much about this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Range-Ro ... ccessories

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
The car won't "forget" you don't have sensors and the TPMS fault light will stay on for as long as you don't mount sensors on the running wheels. However, it will automatically recognize new sensors if you install an extra set of compatible ones for your winter wheels. You need to get OEM sensors as, in addition to transmission frequency, the TPMS module reads a specific electronic serial number from the sensors to recognize them and store them in its memory. The ones listed on eBay are a ripoff, they are cheaper to buy from your dealer. Or here: http://www.bputah.com/RR44/Land_Range_R ... _TPMS.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts