RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has been at Land Rover for two weeks and they can’t figure out why the tpms light is on and have given up. I have a 2014 l405. I get a tire pressure malfunction where the truck can’t read any sensors. ive had this issue for many months my warranty is supposed to cover all this.

On my own I have gotten new sensors and same issue. I have 315mhz sensors.

Visit 1 at dealer: TPMS issue is brought up. Dealer tells me they fixed it at a cost of $240. 10 min after pick up light is on again.

Visit 2 at independent: Car was scanned noticed a BCM fault and a secondary battery fault. BCM fault said something about tpms not working. We then tested each sensor and did a wake up procedure along with the spare. All sensors recording good pressure to the handheld scanner. All are working and reporting values. Spare tire was off and in red once we activated it I thought we had fixed it. 10 min later tpms light on again.

Visit 3: Dealer has truck for two weeks and then just said they have tried everything and given up. “Most likely” it’s the tpms module which they don’t know the location too but just that it’s behind the front bumper. They also claim the back right sensor is broken from a pothole. Yet it tested and read fine. My service advisor said the warranty won’t cover it as the module could be corroded or damaged from an accident. And the cost to replace the module and the sensor with labor is intense I’m better off trading the truck in.

I’ve tried new sensors. I’ve tried a new secondary battery which I believe is unplugged on purpose from the PO to disable the seatbelt chime and start stop I had the same on my old SWB. Still have the tpms issue.

This dealer is very dishonest because they replaced my front camera and harness under corrosion so they should be able to replace the tpms. They also told me last time they had fixed it and charged me and didn’t fix **** and won’t refund me that money. They broke my axel while replacing my control arm bushings and tried making me pay my deductible again. They also say if they remove the bumper I’d be responsible for three hours of labor if the warranty company denies the repair.

I’ve seen the module for $250-$400 before I spend this money I would like to know where this is located? Does anyone have heard of this breaking?

My truck has a harsh nyc life living on the nyc roads often so it gets love tapped often I would imagine but never a “accident”. The bumper has come off many times for many reasons but the paint is all original.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dude. Please go to an Indy shop? Jesus **** the LR dealers. Ok? Problem solved. End of story. Basic common sense. I’m not trying to be disrespectful but you said it yourself this dealer is dishonest. Pull your truck ASAP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take it a Indy where they tried new sensors and resetting a bunch of stuff. That was a waste of money too.

Finally got the truck back noticed on the invoice they lied to the warranty company and said they paid $430 to have my truck towed. They also wrote on the invoice needs more diagnosis to tpms issue. the dealer told me the module is under the wheel liner and the tpms back right is broken and that might fix it. he emphasized might

I will file a claim for the first $200 I paid out of pocket for them to reset the tpms and program which did nothing. I’m going to live with the tpms light on. It’s not worth the headache to chase it.

at this point the extended warranty has covered 6k in repairs and pretty much has paid for itself

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The tpms doesn't need any resets, calibration... nothing. This seems to be some type of myth. I got that story at the dealer/tire installer "the sensors are 400/ and the programming will be another x amount of dollars" When I got the truck the TPMS was fouled. I replaced the sensors via amazon $120 for all 4 on 22" wheels... I believe they were 433 mhz for my rig. I have a diagnostic and could see one wasn't working (probably a dead battery). Same with my 20" snows, amazon $120... brought JUST the wheels to the tire installer to avoid any of their BS for the install. Though they did say "if you want the sensors to work, we'll need to have the car here to program it." Sure enough fit the wheels and within seconds the truck had figured out the new sensors itself.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
43 Posts
There are two types of sensors; one comes pre-programmed the other does not and that is often the kind found at independent tire shops who have the tool to program them to the specific vehicle Mhz. I have heard the dealer TPMS are stupidly expensive and as you point out, perfectly good pre-programmed are available at Rock Auto and many other sources.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As I'm in NYC also, please let me know which dealership you're talking sbout so I know to avoid them. A PM is fine if you'd rather not advertise it. Also, I have an Indy on Staten Island that did a lot of work on my L322. Timing chain guides, head gasket, reprogram of new transmission control unit, etc.. It's not the most polished shop, but they get everything done for me and at very reasonable prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts