RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a TPMS fault and have checked all of the threads related to this issue. It seems most likely it is either dead valve sensors or the module is dead. I haven't been able to track down specifically where this module is located as well as which one my car has. 2013 range Rover sport seems to be either a 433mhz or 315mhz however when reaching out to a supplier was told in this year the TPMS module is actually integrated into the BECM LR053223, anyone heard of this or have this experience in a 2013 RRS?

any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Did you change any TPMS sensors? I'm getting exactly the same message on my 2012 RRS after having changed the tyres and replaced all the TPMS sensors at the same time. Wierd thing is it comes and goes. IIDTool doesn't show any faults. Any help/info appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for delay, No no changes whatsoever. This light would come on as soon as we started the car and stay on the duration of the drive. Eventually my wife was driving and it just went off, its been about a week and it has not come back. I have read that the batteries in the sensors are rechargeable and maybe they just died and when they re-charged all was good again? i don't know.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think if they have to much pressure it should tell you the actual pressure. This just shows an error in the system. Just today this came back on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've also been having TPMS issues since Discount Tyre fitted a new set of tyres and I had them replace the TPMS modules at the same time.
They automatically fitted Huf UVS3030 which are meant to be universal but they have to program them for whatever vehicle they are installed on first. I've been back 3 times already because the same message keeps popping up. This is their last chance before I make them fit OEM ones.

I don't know for sure about 2013 model RRS, but I'm assuming it's the same as my 2012 RRS TPMS, which
according to the official JLR dealer, the correct Land Rover part number is LR066379.
They are 315mhz units. LR066379 from an LR dealer are $128.89 each.

After a lot of research I am pretty sure that LR066379 is actually a VDO Continental part, number SE52029.
Rock Auto sell VDO SE52029 at $43.79 each.

There is also a TSB from Land Rover about this issue, being caused by the car's charging system emitting
electronic noise on the same radio frequency that the TPMS sensors transmit on.
The official fix is to replace the fitted TPMS sensors with the OEM ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this info, it seems this may be my problem assuming I have aftermarket sensors installed. Otherwise they are possibly just failing as i've heard they have around a 5 year life. Any idea how to know for sure what are installed. Any specific markings on the stem?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
A couple things in your opening post that need to be pointed out. There is no BeCM in the LR/Sport series. BeCM was a P38 thing. The part number above is for the passenger compartment fuse box.

The base subsystems for 2010 through end of run 2013 L320s are the same. Most parts and components are interchangeable.

I can never keep the frequencies straight. Umbertob has a post about when they changed. There is nothing wrong with aftermarket TPMS sensors. You can either purchase the correct frequency or purchase multifrequency sensors and have them set to your frequency.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that did seem very odd that they would integrate into the BECM. I think the first thing i need to do is just have a tire shop check that each tire is putting out a signal. They should program the system to just say "missing TPMS" instead of TPMS Fault. Fault could be anything and dead battery seams inevitable. i'll report back with my findings for anyone else interested.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
TPMS is a federal mandate as of September of 2007. In many areas that road worthy inspection is required, you will not pass inspection if the TPMS is not operating properly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stopped in to a tire shop this morning and sure enough one of the sensors is not sending a signal. I am going to try and fit the Continental which does seem like an exact match to OEM. Hope to get this done in next few weeks and will update.

Also found below chart showing frequency by VIN

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https://app.box.com/s/0y05ztzuz4j9fogfh5ib79xuedewj483?,&source=aw&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=AWIN&utm_theme=AlwaysOnDigital&id=7010e000001LP9U&utm_campaign=85386&utm_content=0

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
There's a bit of information that needs correcting in several of the posts above...and by the way, there is already a thread on TPMS where we have detailed out this issue.

The sensors transmit at 315hz. The issue is that mixing non OEM (Discount Tire provided ones) with OEM will leave you with a TPMS error message on the dash. You either need all 4 to be non OEM or all 4 to be OEM, even though they both broadcast on 315hz.

I had the same issue...one OEM TPMS sensor failed, took it to Discount Tire, they replaced it with one of theirs...it didn't work no matter how many times they tried to program it...finally after a week of driving it and 3 times being programmed I went and bought an OEM one, and in 2 seconds the error message was gone. Discount took back their sensor with no issues.

On my 2nd set of rims, I put all 4 sensors from Discount tire...same vehicle as above, and no error messages.

Cheers,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discount Tire replaced all the TPMS sensors so I didn't have a mix, but I still had the problem. I took the car back again this weekend, and they deflated the tires to 14PSI and re calibrated the sensors using a new tool they had just got, they then re inflated the tires to the correct pressure (this time) and reset the ECU using the same tool. I haven't had a problem since then, but its only been a couple of days, so touch wood.

I think the problem was actually that they didn't bother to calibrate/program the sensors as they should have when they installed them the first time, and/or that they left the new tires massively overinflated by at least 7 PSI each when they fitted them. When I found out a couple of days later, I immediately reduced them to the proper pressures but the TPMS Systems Warning was still happening even after another 300 miles, so I'm guessing the TPMS sensors must do a one-time learning or something, which the reset that they did this weekend finally put right. I think I must have gotten their most careless guy as I also had to have them re balance the front wheels as he didn't do a great job on that either, as I was getting noticeable steering wobble around 55-60mph. I used to think my local Discount Tire had good people but not so much now. I'll still buy tires from them as they usually have the cheapest pricing, but next time I'll have them fitted/balanced somewhere else. I've already been thinking this anyway as Discount Tyre don't bother to match the low point of the rim with the high point of the tyre, or even have the equipment to do Road force balancing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PJPR,

Sorry for duplicating the thread, I did thoroughly research the posts and have not seen anyone address this issue specifically. What information specifically is incorrect? Originally when I first received the ambiguous fault I did not see any thread explaining what this code even meant (most likely a simple issue of a dead tire sensor.) Most threads are directed at a failed module, which is the issue I assumed I had. There are two different variants of the sensor based on your model and it does seem that you need to use either all after-marker or all OEM. I do agree with justniz that the VOD sensors are actually the same as OEM and i am going to go for it and will report back once installed.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Justniz... there is no calibration for the sensors. They do monitor the actual PSI very accurately... they just have a set range where they are happy... too hot in summer and the air in the tyre expands and you get a warning. Too cold in winter and you get a low PSI warning. We ALWAYS get a slew of posts in winter, across all models with TPMS, about low PSI in cold climate. Common folks, we all know everything shrinks in freezing temps including the air in our tires.

I think folks that don;t understand seasonal changes should move over to this product.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=31&zenid=ic,16PdKITE7Mwe3y,xI80

There is no reset of the module either. The TPMS module is really quite stupid. The sensors come in one of two frequencies, or if the are generic multifrequency, they can be SET for either of the two frequencies. As stated above they only complain above or beyond the acceptable range of a few PSI below and a few over to account for expansion while driving They also take into account the slight variance between front and rear tires if any. The module just sits there waiting for a sensor to complain like some grade school counselor. OH, I see, so that tire over in the the corner is too low? Well
I will announce it then, thanks for letting me know. BING you TMPS light comes on ant the display tell you which tire is low. The newer systems tell you the pressure at each tire.

Your Discount Tire rep is feeding you bull plop and filling you with misinformation to make you think they are doing more than they really are.

That's like when Discount Tire told me since I was driving a Range Rover the new battery had to programmed to match the VIN. It'll be and extra $75 Mr Christy. I stood there stunned, asked for his manager. His manager came out and I asked him to explain the process for changing the battery in my 2012 L322. Manager looked at me, looked at the salesman. We turn off the ignition in the service bay, wait for about 10 minutes and take the old battery out. We test it to make sure it is the issue then we install then new one and you are on your way. I just grinned. I said I would be happy for them to change my battery as I was out of state with no tools and somewhat in a pinch. The manager came to the waiting room and asked why I asked for him. When I explained the situation he gave me the battery for 50% off and no labour. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts