RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few weeks I've been getting false alarms from the TPMS. When I check the pressure it's always pretty close to the recommendations. I've told the stealer about it several times. They double check the pressure and explain how it works. But, later on that day or week, I get the same false alarms. I'll check the pressure again and it's never off by more than 1 or 2 psi. Could this have anything to do with that TPMS TSB numbered LTB00221. I've never used metal caps. But, I'm wondering if I can have them all replaced under this.

·
Registered
748 Posts
does it actually show a problem like a tire not being monitored? Or does the light randomly pop on with no message whatsoever?

If it is the light seen a tpm modules cause the problem. all you can do is swap with a known good unit and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boss said:
does it actually show a problem like a tire not being monitored? Or does the light randomly pop on with no message whatsoever?

If it is the light seen a tpm modules cause the problem. all you can do is swap with a known good unit and see if it goes away.

The light comes on and then the message "Check all tyre pressures" appears. The light eventually goes out. Do you have a source for replacement modules besides the dealer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an '07 as well. I've had this same issue for the last 25K miles. The dealer has looked at it 4 times...no fix yet. What was the '10 cause and fix?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kmantz said:
I have an '07 as well. I've had this same issue for the last 25K miles. The dealer has looked at it 4 times...no fix yet. What was the '10 cause and fix?
Umberto posted a TSB on this issue. But, I'll attach it here too. I'm surprised dealers aren't aware of this stuff. My dealer wasn't able to resolve the issue either. I'm going to call around and see what everyone is charging. I've got 3 LR stealerships within reach as well as an independent LR shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
HugeBob said:
kmantz said:
Umberto posted a TSB on this issue. But, I'll attach it here too. I'm surprised dealers aren't aware of this stuff. My dealer wasn't able to resolve the issue either. I'm going to call around and see what everyone is charging. I've got 3 LR stealerships within reach as well as an independent LR shop.
It seems to me the TSB is pretty clear and its a pretty binary event...

"The valve stem may be damaged during manual tire pressure checking when either the valve cap is
removed or when an airline is attached, resulting in the sudden and complete loss of air. It is not possible
to refill the tire with air."

Is that your problem?

Do you have a spare w a TPMS sensor?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took down the spare and checked about a month ago. I don't believe I have a TPMS in there: the valve didn't look like it. But, I still checked its pressure anyway and found it quite low and filled it back to spec. But that was about a month ago. Perhaps I'll check it again tonight. Is there a way to verify that there's a TPMS sensor in there? I've heard that only the big Range Rover has a TPMS in the spare. I do know that the other tire pressures are fine.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
HugeBob said:
I took down the spare and checked about a month ago. I don't believe I have a TPMS in there: the valve didn't look like it. But, I still checked its pressure anyway and found it quite low and filled it back to spec. But that was about a month ago. Perhaps I'll check it again tonight. Is there a way to verify that there's a TPMS sensor in there? I've heard that only the big Range Rover has a TPMS in the spare. I do know that the other tire pressures are fine.
Yes the valve looks exactly like the others--rigid and metal. I don't know which MY RRS's came w full size and TPMS, but some did. Mine has a donut--its an '08. But, if you have it and it's low, one of the symptoms is the light illuminates then goes away vs. staying on.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
If it's a compact spare - I suspect it would be if you own a 2007 - like goosey said it's not monitored (and you are right about the pressure requirements being much different on the compact spare compared to your regular tires, if I remember correctly the pressure of the little donut needs to be much higher, in the 50+ psi range.) If it's a full size spare it should be monitored, and its pressure should match the rest of the tires (around 40-42 psi) in order not to trigger the TPMS warning message at startup. Either way, if your spare is the problem the message should only be visible for a minute or so after you start the car, then it should go away on its own.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm told to add 4 pounds to all tires and drive it around for awhile for the light and the info message to go out. If there are dramatic dips in the temperature like in the fall, that sets them off. It's to bad the system can't identify which tire is low like Porsche does. My dealership will fix it if you bring it to them on the spot instead of crawling around on the ground with a air hose. It's only a pain for me in the fall.

I don't believe the spare has a sensor as I used it once and the screen saying one tire didn't have a monitor and the light stayed on until it was fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts