RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that their problem is that the gas pedal stays stuck down, or some issue like that.

I read a discussion of this on a TDI ( VW) forum and it seems the VW's and other german cars have a system built in which detects if the brake and accelerator are both engaged at the same time, and if so it cancels the command from the accelerator so the problem they have had with the Toyotas ( multiplied it would seem by drivers who don't know how to select neutral) cannot happen on a VW.

What about our Land Rover products? Do they have something similar? I know there is a simple way to find out but haven't tried it yet myself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If there is a physical cable running from the pedal to the throttle body, there is no way to cancel the command (unless this is done electronically in the Throttle body, which I doubt).

If the newer Toyotas do this by a sensor/servo connection, then the command could be electronically overridden. I'm guessing it could work off the same system as the traction control system, ie if brake + throttle applied at the same time, just cancel the gas pedal command.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part....

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
From The Wall Street Journal today:

Wall Street Journal said:
Concern Over Electronic Interference Grows

February 4, 2010

An expanded U.S. investigation into vehicle safety is renewing a debate over a troubling possibility: that electrical interference inside today's computerized cars could cause dangerous, unwanted acceleration.

In the wake of numerous reports of unwanted acceleration in cars made by Toyota Motor Corp., the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration on Wednesday said it has begun a "fresh look" at the possible impact of electromagnetic interference, or EMI, on modern throttle systems, though the agency said it has "no reason" to believe there is a safety defect in those systems.

The focus on EMI highlights a concern among some electrical engineers and auto-safety experts that has grown as vehicles have come to depend increasingly on electronic, rather than mechanical, systems.

A decade ago, gas pedals controlled the engine throttle through the movement of a mechanical cable. Now, accelerator pedals on many vehicles are connected to electronic throttle controls, which rely on sensors that transmit signals calling for, say, greater or less speed to the vehicle's engine-control computer. Toyota introduced electronic throttles on Lexus vehicles in the late 1990s before expanding them to other models.

Throttle-control sensors are just one of the electronic devices inside modern cars. More car makers are replacing other mechanical systems with electronic ones, including "brake-by-wire" technologies and radio transmitters that do away with traditional key ignitions. Other electronics are found in emissions controls, air-conditioning systems and navigation screens.

Virtually all electronic hardware gives off EMI that can at times interfere with other devices. (One example is the buzz that a BlackBerry smart phone can create when it is too close to a speaker.) The worry is that the array of auto electronics could generate signals that tell an engine or another component to do something it shouldn't.

Antony Anderson, an electrical engineer in the U.K. who has testified as an expert witness in lawsuits against car companies, said that in theory, electronic noise on some of these signals could command a car's computer to fully open its throttle.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said the company is "very supportive" of NHTSA's plans to further study electrical interference. Mr. Hanson said Toyota has done "exhaustive testing" but has yet to find any evidence that such a problem could lead to unwanted acceleration.

Other industries also have to contend with the risk of EMI. Airplane passengers aren't allowed to use electronic devices during takeoffs and landings because of concern that interference could affect flight instruments. The possibility that cellphones could cause a malfunction in medical equipment is one reason many hospitals restrict their use.

It has been difficult to prove that EMI can cause a crash, in part because such events usually leave no trace. Keith Armstrong, another U.K.-based electrical engineer who has served as an expert witness in suits against car makers, said the industry's method of testing car electronics isn't sufficient.

Mr. Armstrong, who was interviewed this week by the NHTSA on the risks of EMI in cars, said car makers can't test in a reasonable amount of time all the variables that could contribute to an electronic disturbance. He believes car companies should submit safety-critical software and electronics to independent assessors for review.
link to article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000142 ... 77736.html

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Sometimes keeping it simple is good. Our technological advances in computer automation and control don't always equal an improvement in realiable safe automotive operation. All-too-often it's just the opposite. We've gotten so comfortable with electronic comforts that we often forget, "what happens when the clean supply of electricity, all this depends on, isn't there...?"
Personally, it's the Hybrids that amaze and scare me. If you have a firm understanding of what's going on with dynamic braking and fly by wire throttle control, and generators, and motors, and switchgear and the software, monitoring, and feedback sensors it takes to coordinate all this technology, you'd never get behind the wheel of one... :shock:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just brought myself a new Toyota, its great! I didn't even know it had cruse control. Does anyone here know of I turn it off though? :think:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
385 Posts
rtkraken said:
If you have a firm understanding of what's going on with dynamic braking and fly by wire throttle control, and generators, and motors, and switchgear and the software, monitoring, and feedback sensors it takes to coordinate all this technology, you'd never get behind the wheel of one... :shock:
Ok, I won't tell you about modern aircrafts then............... ;)

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
flydive said:
Ok, I won't tell you about modern aircrafts then............... ;)
Gotcha... one can only hope that the maintenance and condition monitoring of planes is superior to that of the auto industry. I've heard about the aftermarket parts problem, but if the folks doing the work and inspections on the planes don't have their stuff together.... then I really don't want to know about it. Let it be an unpleasant surprise. /:(

·
Registered
199 Posts
The difference with airoplanes apart from the rigourous maintainance is that they have 2, 3 or even 4 back up systems and computers if anything does go wrong. Inbuilt redundancy that cars do not have.

:pray:

·
Registered
286 Posts
The old slogan 'The car in front is a Toyota' is understandable :roll:

·
Registered
23 Posts
They are updating Superman in the new movie.
Instead of being faster than a speeding bullet, he's going to be faster than a speeding Toyota!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a drive through McDonalds yesterday..... F***ing Toyota! :evil:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Typing this on my new Toyota keyboarddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

·
Registered
407 Posts
The recall is nothing electronic. Its the carpet. The floor mats are sliding to the gas pedal and making them get stuck at the accelerator. The recall fix is installing clambs in the floor mats. America is making such a big deal out of this because they want people to start buying american cars again. And, although that buick commerical that compares it to a lexas is pretty nice, I stay on the East Side of the ocean for my car purchases. Unless a low priced low mileage acura NSX shows up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
vmystikilv said:
The recall is nothing electronic. Its the carpet. The floor mats are sliding to the gas pedal and making them get stuck at the accelerator. The recall fix is installing clambs in the floor mats. America is making such a big deal out of this because they want people to start buying american cars again. And, although that buick commerical that compares it to a lexas is pretty nice, I stay on the East Side of the ocean for my car purchases. Unless a low priced low mileage acura NSX shows up.

That's incorrect - there are two issues (sticking throttle and floormats):
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyo ... 02572.aspx

A family of four crashed and drowned in a lake because of uncontrolled acceleration. Their floormats were found in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
yeah i'd beg to differ. it's not just the floor mats. i'd mentioned this on here before, but this whole issue came front and center when an offduty CHP officer and his family were driving a rented lexus in san diego were killed. their horrifying last moments caught on the 911 recording. well, a high school friend of mine was in the car and this issue hits home to me and a good number of my friends.

·
Registered
678 Posts
phil. said:
yeah i'd beg to differ. it's not just the floor mats. i'd mentioned this on here before, but this whole issue came front and center when an offduty CHP officer and his family were driving a rented lexus in san diego were killed. their horrifying last moments caught on the 911 recording. well, a high school friend of mine was in the car and this issue hits home to me and a good number of my friends.
Wow - I had heard this was only on Toyotas, until I looked this up. I'm sorry to hear this.

CHP story: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-b ... 29472.html
Suit filed: http://www.10news.com/news/22725686/detail.html

Lake crash story:
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/01/27 ... ation.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts