RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my M101A2 trailer yesterday.
http://okie-rover.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... oling.html
If you read the blog post you will see I probably burned 4th gear pulling the trailer home. My German friend contends that "it is too much trailer" for my Rover to pull. I can't believe that. People pull motor boats that weigh a whole lot more than this trailer with Range Rovers.
What are your thoughts on pulling trailers? I did not get a transmission over heating light during the entire trip. I'm thinking perhaps I need more cooling capacity for my tranny but if the light never indicated overheating is extra cooling necessary?
What is your setup?
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I tow my boat thats around 2,200lbs rigged and geared. Ive towed my Vette on a car hauler as well but its alittle on the heavy its probbly 6,000lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
M101A2 trailer weighs in at 1,400lbs so Im thinking your going to be pushing it with a load in it. You should build up a regular utility trailer instead. And flip the M101. Put some mud tires the same size as your rovers on the utility trailer and put boat trailer springs on it, they are progressive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My '95 LWB is rated to tow (and yours should be too)

Trailer without brakes - 1,650lbs
Trailer WITH brakes - 5,500lbs in high range
Trailer WITH brakes - 7,700lbs in low range.

These numbers are straight from my owners manual.

If you're trailer is 1,400lbs, you're going to need a VERY light load.

Colin

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have regularly towed 3500kg - almost 4 tons with a RR Classic using a twin axle livestock trailer full of beef cattle - no problems at all. The biggest element to overcome is making sure the animals are evenly distributed and are not moving around in the trailer too much. 6 to 8 beef cattle all weight forward at the front of the trailer lifts pressure off the steering and causes instability and snaking which can be very dangerous...

a boat is a breeze 8)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
Vogue said:
I have regularly towed 3500kg - almost 4 tons with a RR Classic

Do you have an aftermarket transmission cooler or the standard 'bottle brush' type?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I towed 4300kg about 200km the other weekend through Melbourne to Bendigo. No problem at 110kph. your lse should have two trans. oil coolers on it. in the left hand side of the radiator and the bottle brush at the front. The ZFHP22 were in the 4.0 P38, and they produced way more power than our injection systems. I do remember reading that the only reason they were not used in the 4.6 is that they couldn't handle the peak power, however the torque handling was okay... if someone could shed more light onto this.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the worst mouse on my computer, it doesn't even eat cheese! But it can push buttons by itself!
You've also got an engine oil cooler on the right hand side of the radiator, and the efi ecu can control the evaporator fans at the front, so you will not have a problem.
Last year when Victoria had those huge fires it was 54oc in the shade, that day dad's 88 model broke down. Towed a tandem trailer from Bendigo to Traralgon ~350km, then towed his car back through Melbourne to Geelong ~300km, then the tandem back to Bendigo another 240km. Apart from driving through the red embers it was a usuall trip, didn't have the aircon on when towing the car. What amazed me just as much is the aircon actually held the temp down in the cabin! I do admit, I admit a fair bit of mechanical sympathy was used, you just don't push a car on a day like that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
benji said:
What amazed me just as much is the aircon actually held the temp down in the cabin!
That is probably because the evaporator fans kick in more often with the aircon on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
G'Day Benji & the boys.

Your reference to a 4HP22 ZF 'puffmatic' rating for towing and use in later P38's has some importance to the peak horsepower available from what's bolted to it !
Ze Germans have a habit of product coding behaviour to specifying their transmission, wether manual or automatic in nature via metric markings to performance.

I spoke to a rep. from "ZF" in Germany & here in their Perth distributorship Five years ago and the last two digits represent the maximum power figure in kW's ?
So a 4HP22 is Four speeds going forward and up to 220kW(295Hp approx.) safe working load for this tranny, which is why they weren't used on later Fal-coons.

Another example is the 1990 VN model Group A SS Crummedore which came with a ZF S6-40 manuel gearbox, Six forward gears & safe loading of 400kW(536Hp).

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's some great info there! That means I can put a 4.6 in my lse and get away with it `) . From what i've read some people have had problems from even lightly worked 4.2's, but it may have also been from missuse, not power delivery too. I didn't know the zf were used in Comformadores? Then again i'm not suprised, cause Aussies have never made a good car.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah Benji.

There were issues with the later TVR developed Rover V8's with 4 bolt main bearings which transferred & produced more equivalent horsepower for Land Rovers !
Remember the original specification for 4.6ltr V8 versions in P38's was 200kW's of braked power - not 200kW's at the flywheel, due to British unit measurements.

By understanding torque multiplication with respect to which gear is chosen on a dyno-meter, the ultimate horsepower figure is the real equated number derived ?
Even the recent face lift of our previous generation Holden Crummidore VY from 1998 was fitted with the Five speed ZF manuel gearbox - those pesky Spainards.

That's why earlier ultra hi-po Merc's(i.e. the AMG models) are fitted with Five speed ZF auto's such as the 5HP30 gearbox which was used in the 740i's for towing.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts