RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there anyway around having to go to the dealership for a to get a towing harness install on a 2011 RRS LUX?? Seems like everywhere I looked I have to take it to the dealership to get computer flashed for backup sensors shutoff.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
After getting the harness installed you will need to get the computer programmed, It can be done with the Gap diagnostics tool (worth the investment) or anyone with dealer level computer(many independent shops) Just did the install and programmed mine.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
708 Posts
After getting the harness installed you will need to get the computer programmed
If you have used the genuine harness, you may be lucky and the ECU will recognise the harness is fitted and turn everything on - seems to be a bit hit and miss and may depend on what software updates have been installed. My car is an earlier model and it switched on but others did not. I have also heard of varying results with later models.

So put the harness in and if it works great, but if not, as mentioned, find someone/dealer with the Gap tool and get it switched on - nothing lost.

Garry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.. did you program yours,yourself? I looked at some diagnostic tools and saw a few different kinds. what tool do you have or would be a decent one to buy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have used the genuine harness, you may be lucky and the ECU will recognise the harness is fitted and turn everything on - seems to be a bit hit and miss and may depend on what software updates have been installed. My car is an earlier model and it switched on but others did not. I have also heard of varying results with later models.

So put the harness in and if it works great, but if not, as mentioned, find someone/dealer with the Gap tool and get it switched on - nothing lost.

Garry
Thanks Garry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After getting the harness installed you will need to get the computer programmed, It can be done with the Gap diagnostics tool (worth the investment) or anyone with dealer level computer(many independent shops) Just did the install and programmed mine.
Thanks Special ED what tool do you have or recommend Thanks

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
winfld, we have entire forum section below about Diagnosics Equipment. it all depends on how deep you want to go into diagnostics. The GAP IID tool far ahead on options and abilities..as Special Ed said, well worth the investment. GAP has their own section below and they are easy to work with. You can check out their site and see what the BT version offers. if you have any questions you can PM Pat through RRnet or post on the GAP forum below. They also offer a chart at the bottom of their features section where you can select your model and year to see what features re available for exact rig.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
I recently installed a generic harness on my 2009. There are 2 plugs meant for a factory tow harness located under the left rear interior panel in the cargo area, and I simply spliced into those. I can turn off the parking sensors via the button on the dash so that's not an issue. I understand that the factory harness allows the computer to know when a trailer is attached, so I'm guessing mine does not know. The only thing I've seen that the factory setup does is it keeps the air suspension set at the normal height. I've towed a few thousand kilometres with no issues.

I also installed a rearview mirror dashcam/back up camera. One of the plugs used for the trailer harness has a wire for reverse lights, so I connected to that to the unit so the parking alignment guides appear when in reverse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts