RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, brand new to the forum and very interesting reading. I had recently purchased a 09' RR HSE supercharged and am learning quickly to tow my boat (2010 Supra launch 21 ) may be a hassle. I am told by many of the local hitch shops that my current hitch will have to do and to use a 11" extender to get any clearance at all past the bumper. I am also told that the weight would be reduced to 4000LBs and my boat loaded is 1000lbs over.

As well of course I find that there is no trailer wiring harness either. I had found the number YWJ500480G for the kit and am sourcing out the most cost effective route. My question although is that my boat trailer has brakes, I was wondering if using the harness which I am going to order will suffice or if I have to install a brake controller as well in order to activate the electric trailer brakes which the trailer already has.

I am hoping there are others out there which have run the same gauntlet and may be able to give some advice and feedback.

Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
901 Posts
How heavy is the boat? If you want the trailer to have brakes you'll need to wire a brake controller too unless something changed in the later model years.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
I just purchased an 06 RR HSE primarily for towing my boat (21.5 Centurion v-drive). I called around to local trailer shops to ask about wiring up trailer lights and no one would touch my Rover so I ended up buying the harness from the dealer and had them install it. They quoted me $295 for the harness + $100 to install it, somehow I ended up paying $295 total. The plug is very nice actually! It has both the flat 5 pin plug and the round 7 pin plug. For the hitch I bought an extension and normal hitch from U Haul which puts the ball right where it needs to be. I hooked up my boat to the back of the truck and everything looks great. The truck has a periodic EAS fault so I'm going to have that taken care of Monday at the dealer before I do any towing. Good luck!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
Is there such thing as an HSE Supercharged? Is it an aftermarket supercharger, or OEM added after purchase? Or was that available in '09 or Canada?

You will definitely need a trailer brake controller if you want trailer brakes (which I prefer)...decent ones are less than $100 at any auto parts store.

Yes, towing requires the insane receiver extension...and of course the wiring harness kit...major bummer on the design if you ask me...but I guess it's an afterthought for LR...

Not sure I'd tow heavy with our RR unless I had to...and I definitely wouldn't push the payload limits...I don't trust that frickin' extension system for significant loads.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I tow a 21 foot reniell with a v8 no problem fully loaded with wakeboard equipment. Rover has plenty of power to tow with.
Make sure to get the rover light module as I believe it will change your shift points when something is connected to it. I dont know that for a fact but I think it does. Someone correct me if I am wrong. You should IMO tow in sport mode it will allow you to stay in a lower gear for longer and wont shift as often. Going up hill this will make a big difference.

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
I believe nsxxtreme is correct in that the LR module changes the transmission settings. When a trailer is hooked up, a trailer icon illuminates on the dash, and if you have problems with trailer lights, you are notified on the dash to check.

Towing payload on FFRR is, I believe, 7700 lbs (3500 kilos).

I purchase hitch, pin and ball from Amazon as follows:

CURT Manufacturing 45260 Class III 2" Ball Mount
rated at 7500 lbs tow / 750 lbs tongue weight
CURT Manufacturing 40037 2 In. Diameter Chrome Trailer Ball rated at 7500 lbs
Curt Manufacturing 21580 5/8" Pin and Clip For Super Duty Ball Mount Series

I flipped the ball mount upside down to give the 3/4" rise instead of 2" drop so my trailer pulls level. The mount itself is 12 1/4" long, so clears bumper nicely.

Also, I believe there are some wireless brake controllers out there if you don't want to hazard the trailer brake wiring after the LR wiring harness/kit is installed, but I just tow fairly light stuff so don't have the experience with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx all for the input ~ long story short I took to the dealer and they installed the needed wiring harness at a cost of 725 P&L ~ gross !! Bought a 16" receiver to clear the bumper and all looks to be set.

Now I have another issue, alas that will be another thread :(

Cheers
Tenz

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
Holy holy...that's some serious coin for a wiring harness. Wish you were my neighbor, we would've installed it over a few beers! Glad it's done though...boat on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts