RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy a new boat and the weight of the boat with fuel and trailer will probably be 8000lbs. I know the official number for Range Rover is 7716lbs. Does exceeding this limit by any amount pose a problem? What about going over 300lbs? The trailer does have it's own disc brakes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
298 Posts
I frequently tow about 7300lbs. You’re supposed to tow no more than 85% of the max. The limit is the same for almost all configurations so I think the chassis is the limit.

I’ve never had engine or transmission issues in my v8 supercharge but braking is obviously an issue. I don’t know what kind of liability you’d have if you got in an accident towing more than you are supposed to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Sean! In terms of the 85% rule, that seems to be a rule of thumb but no where can I find it as an official recommendation. If I was at 7700lbs, I wouldn't even be thinking twice about this.

Here is what's listed for my vehicle. The 7716 lb tow capicity comes from GTW - GVW. This is with the car carrying a maximum capacity of 1904lbs. Usually, it's just me and another person so add 400lbs to the VW= 5110 lbs. Add the tongue weight of about 10% which is about 780 lbs to give GVW of 5890 lbs. Then 7809 lbs for boat, trailer and fuel which equals 13,699 lbs. That leaves a cushion of 631 lbs to reach the GTW.

VariantVehicle weight from lb (kg)Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)¹ lb (kg)Gross Train Weight (GTW)² lb (kg)
V6 Diesel - 5 seat vehicles4 710 (2 136)6 614 (3 000)14 330 (6 500)
¹ The maximum permissible weight of the vehicle including passengers and load.
² The maximum permissible weight of the vehicle and braked trailer including their respective loads.

Needless to say though, I do want to make sure I'm not going to do any harm to the vehicle or create a hazardous situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 85% max is misinformation. You can technically tow up to the rated weight of each and every vehicle ever made. There is a number that is widely used in the towing world that tongue weight should equal about 10% of tow weight. Keep in mind this is more for RV’s than boats as boats tow differently.

Honestly, just hook up the trailer and go, don’t stress about it. Stopping is typically the biggest issue and disc brakes on the boat trailer are considerably better than drums on most RV’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Thanks for the reply Sean! In terms of the 85% rule, that seems to be a rule of thumb but no where can I find it as an official recommendation. If I was at 7700lbs, I wouldn't even be thinking twice about this.

Here is what's listed for my vehicle. The 7716 lb tow capicity comes from GTW - GVW. This is with the car carrying a maximum capacity of 1904lbs. Usually, it's just me and another person so add 400lbs to the VW= 5110 lbs. Add the tongue weight of about 10% which is about 780 lbs to give GVW of 5890 lbs. Then 7809 lbs for boat, trailer and fuel which equals 13,699 lbs. That leaves a cushion of 631 lbs to reach the GTW.

VariantVehicle weight from lb (kg)Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)¹ lb (kg)Gross Train Weight (GTW)² lb (kg)
V6 Diesel - 5 seat vehicles4 710 (2 136)6 614 (3 000)14 330 (6 500)
¹ The maximum permissible weight of the vehicle including passengers and load.
² The maximum permissible weight of the vehicle and braked trailer including their respective loads.

Needless to say though, I do want to make sure I'm not going to do any harm to the vehicle or create a hazardous situation.
the weight figures are with 4 passengers (at 200 lbs each) and gear. Why would add 400 pounds to anything? Wouldn't you be removing 200lbs+ gear for each of the two passengers not in the back seat?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
85 Posts
Id actually be more worried about that tongue weight, if it is indeed 10% of the trailer. The manual says you can go to 771 as far as design, but its only certified for 330lbs.

If you are only towing short distances you should be fine. If you are planning hour long or more, and frequent trips, you will be working the vehicle hard, and honestly its not fun towing to a vehicles limits - the ride usually sucks.

I remember towing a boat with my S10, it was at its limits and towing was a workout. the 4.3V6 had plenty of power, stopping and stability was more of the challenge, the boat weighed more than the tow vehicle. It started eating U-Joints. Went to a full size ram pickup - and it was a completely different world and 2 hour rides pulling it up to Lake Winnipesaukee in NH was a smooth ride.

Congrats on the boat (bust out another thousand). You are about to the first of the 2 best days of boat ownership, the day you get it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It'll be more of a safety and liability issues than any capability issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts