RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum members, just letting my fellow DIY's know about the following:

The harness HAS changed from the 2010/11 --> 2012 model.

The 2010/2011 is made up of two sections:

(1) which comes from inside the panel/car (3 plugs and ground) through the tail light
(2) connects outside of the tail light and travels underneath the bumper to the socket trailer plug

In the 2012:

Only 1 harness.

The trailer socket plug already hooks up to PREWIRED sockets inside the bumper! The bumper needs to be removed to access these plugs, and voi la. You are done. No need to remove the inner panel or anything. It's all done.

My local dealer (down the block) sold me the 2010/2011 wiring harness, in which LR quietly changed the wiring resulting in electrical polarity in my rear left tail light causing it to work in funky ways.
I.E. : turning blinker worked as the red LED ring. No brake light itself, but all other bulbs working fine.

When I took my car to the dealer where I purchased it, (had to get gas cap changed as it had popped bubbles of clear coat and chipping paint on the inside from the factory) they charged me $150 to fix the polarity on the harness. [I'm fairly handy, but didn't want to play with this when the car has 400 miles and deal with their BS that I "modded" anything].

Kind of an uncalled for charge on behalf of the customer when it's clearly the LR's fault, but it is what it is. It's almost impossible to dispute when the dealer where you purchased the vehicle/got it fixed is different from the dealer which sold you the part, right?? I simply feel that I paid $150 for absolutely nothing. I wired the thing perfectly and it's OEM nonetheless.

Just a forewarning for anyone searching in the near future to make sure they double check!!!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I saw that- its listed on bputah's website. 2 different part numbers.

I haven't made the plunge, becaue I read there is a huge issue with LR's and LED trailer lights.

Nonetheless, did you have any issue removing the rear bumper? Are there clips or is it bolted on?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clips, no bolts.

Quick removal.

I had no problems on my 2007 with LED tails + trailer LED's.

I haven't hooked up this car to the trailer yet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts