RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently towing a 5x8 uhaul cargo trailer loaded with a washer and dryer, 3 aquariums 75 125 and a plywood 200 gallon , and full with house hold items and clothes. Trailer is 900lbs empty can't really be more than 1000lbs of cargo. I'm about a few hundred miles in and currently driving in manual mode fifth gear is only 1800-2000 rpm at 60 depending on the grade fourth is leagues better just pulling along at 2500 rpm at 60. Sport mode is decent but hunts too much and too hard normal is just fifth and and occasional kick to forth but usually too late. My question is it ok to stay in fourth for long periods? 2005 l322 could it be the 33" tires lowering my gearing or the small cat weld exhaust leak causing me to lose valuable low end torque? Driving from Columbus Ohio to Miami fl by the way

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
4th is fine, and what should be used.

Most pickup trucks that have a towing mode, will disable your overdriven gear, which is what 5th is.

You are actually better for the transmission staying in 4th then lugging in 5th, and only draw back will be fuel economy, which moving near 8k lbs shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Change your oil once the trip is over just to be safe, and make sure to keep an eye on the coolant temps, but other then that, you should be fine.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Double posting....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
"Towing" for a living, I agree 110% with Dave. Leave in top gear direct (4th for us), and let her do what she wants to do. Tranny will run cooler, and the higher rpm's could actually save fuel as the throttle wont be going full open when it hits a climb, like it would in 5th.
I've towed our other RR with the MkIII, and left it in 4th when on the highway.
This is what I normally "tow" around...
claas-750.jpg
Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts